• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning all!

Day 28 of Permydom.

Bolton on't 'ill! Very dark but dry and not too cold. The sun has yet to grace us with its presence over the Aldi Distribution centre. Although as I type it appears to be getting lighter outside.

The CX-5 tried to kill me on my drive home last night, as I was accelerating from a stop to go round a roundabout it slammed all its brakes on! The roundabout had cleared! Bloody tulipheap deathtrap.

Transferred my kit to the boot of my car, I shall be leaving at 14:45 to collect little bot from school - which is nice.

Have a good day all!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I watched an old episode of 24 Hours in A&E on one of C4's endless repeat channels.
      Remember when the Beeb were roundly criticised for showing repeats?

These days with 500 channels of tulipe to choose from the repeats get repeated.

Morning.

Sunny. (Now, it wasn't even dawn when I left the house).

Dry.

Warmish. I kept my overcoat on since you can't be too careful, like. Ne'er cast a clout & all that.

Bus late.

The sun is now beating in like a good un, showing us the murk over Margam.

Last evening's televisual epic was, as predicted, "Speed 2" with Sandra Bullock, Jason Patric & Willem Dafoe.

Speed 2: Cruise Control (1997) - IMDb

Oddly, other than Ms Bullock having rather less to do than last time, it was pretty much par for the course for a run of the mill actioner.

I can't understand why the rating is so low.

There were a few laugh out louds, and the tension build up was quite good.

That's what makes horse races, I suppose.

It was a Blue Tulip Production.

We all need to be very careful:

Geiger spent years designing the computer systems on the ships and can take control from his laptop.

He is bitter because his exposure to the computers gave him severe copper poisoning and the company fired him when they found out.

He now takes several prescriptions and carries a jar of leeches to suck the copper from his blood.

Apparently nobody learned from George Washington's death.

Them computers will give you copper poisoning.

And yes, that is in the script.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 October 2018, 07:30.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all cool and foggy earlier on has given way to clear skies and warm sunshine.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Another sunny day out there

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            Remember when the Beeb were roundly criticised for showing repeats?

These days with 500 channels of tulipe to choose from the repeats get repeated.
            Indeed. The repeated 999 programme I'd watched a bit of while eating dinner was repeated again after the A&E programme

I remember the BBC used to do "An hour of comedy now, with another chance to see…" followed by a couple of sitcom repeats. This bit them one time when they had a repeat from the previous year's series of Terry and June followed by one from the previous year's series of Ever Decreasing Circles - but they had exactly the same plot

Terry and June: The Eye of the Householder (1987) versus Ever Decreasing Circles: Neighbourhood Watch (1987), so the repeats I saw must have been in 1988

I assume it was just bad luck that two series written by different people happened to use exactly the same story for their fourth episode, leading to the collision when they were repeated together; they were first broadcast at different times of the year, so nobody would have noticed then.

EDIT: I saw them on Monday 8th August 1988, it seems: BBC One London - 8 August 1988 - BBC Genome though it turns out the plots differed in one detail: the (spoiler alert) burglar who pretended to be a policeman was an inspector in one but only a sergeant in the other, judging by the cast lists
            Last edited by NickFitz; 10 October 2018, 10:37.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              Especially since there's a chap out in the corridor who's irritating me with his braying laugh.

I see your braying laugh and raise you Captain Loud

http://n51solutions.co.uk/n51/captainloud.mp3

Worked near him for about 8 months in 2008 - his laugh was a constant feature. His voice was equally loud.

Comment

wfh today and leafy suburban commuter town is quite warm and sunny.

As for Speed 2 - all I recall is that the boot seemed to take an age to slowdown/stop when it hit land

I am sure it takes like ten minutes to go from 6 knots to zero knots although time does have a way of contorting memories so.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  wfh today and leafy suburban commuter town is quite warm and sunny.

As for Speed 2 - all I recall is that the boot seemed to take an age to slowdown/stop when it hit land

I am sure it takes like ten minutes to go from 6 knots to zero knots although time does have a way of contorting memories so.
                  Indeed.

A very slow slowdown indeed.

One of the stunts cost $25M apparently.

It was ok as films go, just nowhere near as good as "Speed".

"Bullseye", by comparison, really is quite dreadful.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I've found a reason to do some XSLT programming

I really like XSLT since I spent a couple of years doing loads of it and really got my head around it, but I almost never have a reason to use it. Today, I do!

Comment

OK, I'll be getting round to the XSLT just as soon as this other stuff is working…

In the meantime I've managed to have some breaded chicken bits and a bag of crisps for lunch

And I've done a bedding wash too. Hive of activity over here, I tell you

Comment

Working...
                      X