• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Morning denizens

Patchy cloud here - almost, but not quite, Simpsonesque
    Bah! Humbug!

See above.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

More post shenanigans. A letter came some time in the past week or so for somebody who doesn't live here, which has been lying in the hall ever since. Earlier, I noticed two odd things about it: the house number was four digits long, of which the first three were our number; but there aren't any four-digit house numbers along here, as we don't live in New York. Also, the postcode was for a stretch of the road further up towards town that consists of shops with, usually, flats above; but having looked up the postcode, there seemed no possible reading of the number on the envelope that would correspond to any of them.

I then noticed that on the back a return address was stamped, being some firm of accountants in town. So I've put it back in the pillar box with the number and automated sorting machine code crossed out and a note scribbled on it pointing out that it doesn't belong here, and if they can't work out which of the ten or so addresses up the road it is, they should send it back to the accountants.

Let's hope it isn't something important like a VAT return that had to be paid a few days ago

Also, what kind of accountants are they that send out documents in a hand-addressed envelope bearing an impossible number? You don't need to know every highway and byway to be aware that there are probably no four-digit house numbers anywhere in the city; the place isn't big enough for a road that long

Comment

You don't need to know every highway and byway to be aware that there are probably no four-digit house numbers anywhere in the city; the place isn't big enough for a road that long
        Return to Sender: Addressee unknown?

IIRC there's a road in Swansea that reaches the dizzy heights of 4 digits.

Though that may be the delusions of a deranged brain at this late date.

Just been investigating the change from cascode double triode rf amplifiers in VHF tv tuners to single triode frame grid valve rf amplifiers.

I have no idea why these obsessions strike me, but there you go.

The first reference to a PC95 frame grid triode is in a 1960/61 Alba tv set which is shown in the 60/61 edition of the Radio & TV servicing books that take up 18" or so so of bookshelf upstairs.

By 1964, there was one with a PC97 as well.

I'm pleased to realise that absoluckingfutely no one else on this board has any idea wtf I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Just been investigating the change from cascode double triode rf amplifiers in VHF tv tuners to single triode frame grid valve rf amplifiers.

The first reference to a PC95 frame grid triode is in a 1960/61 Alba tv set which is shown in the 60/61 edition of the Radio & TV servicing books that take up 18" or so so of bookshelf upstairs.

I'm pleased to realise that absoluckingfutely no one else on this board has any idea wtf I'm talking about.
          I once worked with a guy in Cambridge who restores "old" radios - predominantly military ones. He might know what you're wittering on about!

How's it feel to be a member of a dying species?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

A win for the team today - at the shop for a 40p tin of soup, a subsidy of 25p left in the little change chute was discovered. Woot!

Comment

A friend of mine has those books. Well, unless he's got rid of them since the 1990s when I last remember seeing them, but he always seemed very fond of them

Sausage roll for lunch

Comment

Giving the deep fat fryer a thorough clean

Comment

Maybe alternative activity

https://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Pear-Juice/

though rather than bottling I would ferment!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

A friend of mine has those books. Well, unless he's got rid of them since the 1990s when I last remember seeing them, but he always seemed very fond of them

Sausage roll for lunch
                    They get consulted now & again.

Can't remember the last time I looked at one though.

Comment

The deep fat fryer is now cleaner than it's been in some considerable time

Just finished getting a batch of chips through Phase I. Give them half-an-hour or so to dry and I can start the fryer up for Phase II.

They'd do better with a longer drying period, but it's a bit late for that, and it's quite warm today - 23°C according to the pocket oracle.

Comment

Working...
                      X