• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Face lurgy day #9. Improving. No longer painful. Glands have subsided. Still bright purple, but flaky and dry round the edges, so I think it is gradually diminishing in size. I'm hoping that, by 2023, it will be as if it never happened.
    Last edited by mudskipper; 17 August 2018, 21:04.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Doh. Schoolboy error.
      I know!

The best part is that when I was writing the Python code, I realised I was getting a string back and added in a conversion to int. But that was with the result of Tweet.objects.aggregate(max=Max('id_str')), and the sting comparison was happening inside that call to Max, which ends up as SQL executing on a different server altogether. So my attempt at type safety was closing the stable door after the horse had galloped off several miles in the wrong direction, then fallen in a quarry and broken its neck

Comment

I had a similar(ish) problem recently in that if you select sum a load of int columns, it assumes the result type must be int, so if there's lots of big numbers you get an overflow error. So you have to convert your ints to bigints before summing. (SQL server, your database may vary)
        Similar thing on Postgres - working with the django ORM I could just use a cast to BigIntegerField, but when I was checking out the approach in SQL I had to use int8 as the type to cast to

I was never happy about using a string for the ID in the first place, and as my code is intended to run only on platforms where reliable 64 bit support is available, I'm going to change it all at some point - assuming Twitter doesn't go out of business first

Comment

Face lurgy day #9. Improving. No longer painful. Glands have subsided. Still bright purple, but flaky and dry round the edges, so I think it is gradually diminishing in size. I'm hoping that, by 2023, it will be as if it never happened.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            And with that, I'm off to the Chinese
            Which was very nice, by the way

And with it not being my usual day, it gave the woman who runs the place something to talk about

Comment

Have now watched the remake of Inglorious Bastards, to whit, Inglourious Basterds.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/

It was Very Long: 2hrs 26min, though only about 3 minutes of that was credits.

Other than that, it was ok in a alternate universe sort of way.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Have now watched the remake of Inglorious Bastards, to whit, Inglourious Basterds.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/

It was Very Long: 2hrs 26min, though only about 3 minutes of that was credits.

Other than that, it was ok in a alternate universe sort of way.
                I enjoyed that when I watched it a while back - a year ago last April, it seems. I might rewatch it again soon

Tonight's entertainment was a different rewatch: Firefox (1982), in which Clint Eastwood is the best fighter pilot the USA can find, despite his deep-seated PTSD, and is therefore sent into Russia to steal the eponymous new Soviet stealth fighter, properly known as the MiG-31. Only eponymous in that NATO codewords for Soviet fighters all had "fox" in them; this film, and the novel on which it was based, presumably led to them removing that one from the pool of possible codewords

It's OK, but nothing special. And I'm pretty sure the bit in which some of the Russian people helping him have their own company makes no sense; surely all commercial enterprises were owned by the State, on behalf of the workers? As I recall, a similar mistake was made in the novel Gorky Park. But it's getting on for forty years since I read that, so maybe I'm misremembering

And after that, back to the rampant capitalism of diners, butchers, hairdressers, mechanics, and gangsters with a further episode of Fargo S2.

Goodnight all

Comment

19.4 in the living room, whilst it's 18 deg in the laundry room with an overnight min of 14.9.

Currently very grey but dry, with little indication of how long this last will last.

Oh, and the DS bad back is playing up again, probably exacerbated by driving yesterday.

Ho hum.

Thank feck for ibuprofen.

In with the malodorous hoi polloi.

Very briefly.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 August 2018, 08:55.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    I enjoyed that when I watched it a while back - a year ago last April, it seems. I might rewatch it again soon

Tonight's entertainment was a different rewatch: Firefox (1982), in which Clint Eastwood is the best fighter pilot the USA can find, despite his deep-seated PTSD, and is therefore sent into Russia to steal the eponymous new Soviet stealth fighter, properly known as the MiG-31. Only eponymous in that NATO codewords for Soviet fighters all had "fox" in them; this film, and the novel on which it was based, presumably led to them removing that one from the pool of possible codewords

It's OK, but nothing special. And I'm pretty sure the bit in which some of the Russian people helping him have their own company makes no sense; surely all commercial enterprises were owned by the State, on behalf of the workers? As I recall, a similar mistake was made in the novel Gorky Park. But it's getting on for forty years since I read that, so maybe I'm misremembering

And after that, back to the rampant capitalism of diners, butchers, hairdressers, mechanics, and gangsters with a further episode of Fargo S2.

Goodnight all
                    Key point was he had to be able to think in Russian to use the weapons so he had to have Russian as a first language , pretty sure senator McCarthy slimmed that pool right down.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

it's now dark grey and drizzly so that's the end of the possibility of finishing the painting today.

Ho fecking hum.

Another 8 dvds added to the collection.

Town was quite quiet, but then again it's early.

Now what shall I do with The Remains of The Day?

IIRC Eastwood got ripped off by the effects people who did the clouds.

It never looked terribly realistic to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X