• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    The sum of my achievements today was getting dressed.

Did have a good weekend though. One of the IPSE CC guys organises a 'Freelance Friday' event in Glasgow, so headed up for that. 12 hour round journey on the train meant I got a whole book read. I used to enjoy reading a lot, but have fallen out of the habit of late. "His bloody project" (Booker shortlist a couple of years back) Very good read I thought.

Met up with an old colleague that I probably haven't seen for over 20 years. He's a contractor, albeit on holiday for a year, so persuaded him to come along. Turns out one of the other attendees knew him, so all worked out well. Was lovely to see him, and a very good evening.

Went to the Glasgow parkrun on Saturday and got chatting to a lady who happens to be attending a wedding in Woking next week. As my local parkrun is cancelled due to an event in the park, we are going to meet at Woking and run together. We are now facebook friends
    sounds good!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      The sum of my achievements today was getting dressed.

Did have a good weekend though. One of the IPSE CC guys organises a 'Freelance Friday' event in Glasgow, so headed up for that. 12 hour round journey on the train meant I got a whole book read. I used to enjoy reading a lot, but have fallen out of the habit of late. "His bloody project" (Booker shortlist a couple of years back) Very good read I thought.

Met up with an old colleague that I probably haven't seen for over 20 years. He's a contractor, albeit on holiday for a year, so persuaded him to come along. Turns out one of the other attendees knew him, so all worked out well. Was lovely to see him, and a very good evening.

Went to the Glasgow parkrun on Saturday and got chatting to a lady who happens to be attending a wedding in Woking next week. As my local parkrun is cancelled due to an event in the park, we are going to meet at Woking and run together. We are now facebook friends
      Wow! I think I'm doing well if I manage to make it the one mile into town at the moment

Comment

Gammon, egg, chips, and beans for tea

Comment

This evening's epic was "Memento" with Guy Pearce and Joe Pantoliano, and that woman from CSI.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209144/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It was confusing but got to the beginning eventually.

Thereafter I watched the last 20 minutes of the 3rd ep of "Crowdie and Cream" being the memories of the childhood of Finlay J. McDonald in the 1940s.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00g1lqt

The last 20 minutes includes the bit where his dad, who, after his experiences in WWI, refuses to use a rifle, but is eventually forced to do so to detonate a sea mine that's been beached on the foreshore.

I particularly like the Tír na nÓg story that his dad tells him on his last day before leaving the island to go to the Big Skool in Portree.

And as he says, life is like a stream flowing down hill, try as you might you can't go back.

I still think that they're all far too close to that mine.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 July 2018, 21:13.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tonight's entertainment, apart from some More4 stuff about helicopter paramedics and such whilst eating dinner, was Cloverfield (2008), in which some kind of giant monster attacks Manhattan, all seen through a camcorder that was being used to document a party when the thing arrived and which is taken along as the partygoers attempt to flee. Very good, I thought. In particular, news footage from 9-11 clearly informed some of the scenes where (spoiler alert) they're caught in the street as entire skyscrapers are brought crashing down.

And the subtitles were in sync with the sound. I first tried watching this late last year, but the subtitles were about 2½ to 3 seconds ahead of the soundtrack, and it's utterly confusing watching something that way - you're having to remember what the last subtitle said whilst also clocking the current subtitle so you'll know what they're saying when they say it shortly even though they're saying something completely different right now, and it did my head right in after a few minutes.

I complained to Apple about it. After getting the usual "try re-downloading it" reply (the new "turn it off and on again"), I gave a pretty detailed technical response referencing subtitle timecoding and listing all the different Apple devices on which I'd either streamed or downloaded it, including the fact that the incorrect time offset of the subtitles was exactly the same at the end as at the start. After that they immediately refunded me and escalated it to the relevant department. Within a few weeks it was fixed, so I bought it again but hadn't got around to watching it until now.

Goodnight all

Comment

19.9 deg C in the living room, 17.6 deg C in the laundry room.

Judging by the roads & pavements, there were rivers of water cascading down the hill over the weekend.

Merely pebbles left this time though, rather than the rocks we sometimes have.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 July 2018, 07:10.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Class-144-on-the-emergency-Northern-timetable style conveyance to the fair city of Bradford this morning. Those 144's were supposed to be replaced by now, IIRC. Still awaiting the new transpennine numbers too, which was part of the reason for the timetable re-jig.

Comment

Bit murky n coolish in manchester....

in here at 7 so will be on my way at 3...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Tonight's entertainment, apart from some More4 stuff about helicopter paramedics and such whilst eating dinner, was Cloverfield (2008), in which some kind of giant monster attacks Manhattan, all seen through a camcorder that was being used to document a party when the thing arrived and which is taken along as the partygoers attempt to flee. Very good, I thought. In particular, news footage from 9-11 clearly informed some of the scenes where (spoiler alert) they're caught in the street as entire skyscrapers are brought crashing down.

And the subtitles were in sync with the sound. I first tried watching this late last year, but the subtitles were about 2½ to 3 seconds ahead of the soundtrack, and it's utterly confusing watching something that way - you're having to remember what the last subtitle said whilst also clocking the current subtitle so you'll know what they're saying when they say it shortly even though they're saying something completely different right now, and it did my head right in after a few minutes.

I complained to Apple about it. After getting the usual "try re-downloading it" reply (the new "turn it off and on again"), I gave a pretty detailed technical response referencing subtitle timecoding and listing all the different Apple devices on which I'd either streamed or downloaded it, including the fact that the incorrect time offset of the subtitles was exactly the same at the end as at the start. After that they immediately refunded me and escalated it to the relevant department. Within a few weeks it was fixed, so I bought it again but hadn't got around to watching it until now.

Goodnight all
                    NickFitz putting the Geek in Apple!

Comment

Breakfast - Bacon, Mushrooms & tomato - no eggs left

Comment

Working...
                      X