• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of a sci-fi kick tonight on the silver screen, starting with District 9 (2009), in which a huge alien ship has arrived over Johannesburg but the aliens turn out to be a bunch of rather unpleasant refugees rather than any kind of master race. They end up being accommodated in a vile shanty town, and they've been there for twenty years, and the locals are sick to death of them; so an operation begins to try to move them to a camp further away, whereupon the mayhem begins. Loads of violent action, and rather gross special effects which came out particularly well in UHD. Worth a watch, I reckon

And then another film by the same director: Elysium (2013), in which the earth has become an overpopulated hellhole so the ultra rich have removed themselves to an idyllic space station; the ultimate gated community. Naturally, this isn't going over so well with some of the people left below on the planet, so they seek to adjust their situation. Good, though I thought not quite as out there as District 9.

I'll be very disappointed if the "Trivia" sections for these on IMDb don't include "Director trademark: psychopathic Afrikaner", as both films had excellent specimens of that ilk

Goodnight all

Comment

The freezer extract does, in fact, appear to be beef.

And in a further deeper expedition into said freezer, yet more apple, green gooseberries, and raspberries have been located.

Additionally the long frozen beef chunks have reappeared, ready for the preparation of the "scouse".

This last will follow on from the cooking of the Sunday lunch, inasmuch as the oven will then be hot, so may as well do it this afternoon.

I'll have to pop down town & buy some spuds coz all I've got at the moment is Jersey Royals and some baby potatoes and they seem a bit unsuited for the task.

A trip or two down the dump is pencilled in to dispose of yet more crap.

I find the building methods used next door quite odd.

Sticking sheets of plasterboard to the walls with giant gobs of glue.

I assume some skimming will be required thereafter.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 June 2018, 08:14.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all looks like another nice day out there.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny start out there today

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            Additionally the long frozen beef chunks have reappeared, ready for the preparation of the "scouse".

This last will follow on from the cooking of the Sunday lunch
            That idea bit the dust.

The swede proved to be rotten from top to bottom, which explained the stink in the "laundry room" yesterday.

So an early prelunch trip to the dump and thereafter to Tesco & Morrisons was duly made.

At the dump they've moved the glass bottle thingie from the near end to the far end, just to confuse me.

Which doesn't take much.

Oddly, the building oiks turned up this morning to start skimming, presumably the plasterboard rather than stones on the canal, but you can never be sure.

The "scouse" has been cooking away gently for yonks & according to the recipe it will continue cooking for further yonks.

Smells ok so far.

I suspect it's going to need some more liquid shortly.

The beef for lunch is also in, and if I'd given it some thought, could have gone in before I went shopping thusly being ready 45 minutes earlier than it's going to be otherwise.

It's very hot out there now.

Only mad dogs and English persons to be seen for miles.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Back in the day we used to get those from NPT but they got discontinued for some reason & now one has to check on line.

The roast beef turned out ok in the end.

<time passes>

Stone me it's warm out there now.

<DrS in "Phew Wot A Scorcher" mode>

Currently watching "The Sea shall not have them", Dirk Bogarde et al.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047463/

1955 heroism at sea.

It seems a looooong time ago.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 June 2018, 15:46.

Comment

My mum's been severely out of sorts for ages with a problem that's left her in a lot of pain, spending a lot of time in bed and not managing to do much else. Last week, her GP rather reluctantly changed one of her pain relief medicines for something else - as she's tried morphine but found it disagreed with her, I'm not sure what it could be that the doctor's even more wary of giving her.

Anyway, this new stuff turns out to be excellent - she doesn't get any side effects (morphine made her itch, among other things) and she feels much better now she's not in constant pain

This morning, she and my dad went to the garden centre first thing (to beat the rush) and got various plants and bags of compost, then came home where she's potted a bunch of them up in hanging baskets for my dad to put up. When I spoke to her she was just going for her after-lunch nap, and was planning to go out to the garden again and get some more done after that

Comment

Still can't be much bothered with cooking and didn't have enough an appetite for a Chinese (possibly because of the sardine toasties I had this afternoon) so tea has been a nice bowl of scouse out of the freezer

Comment

I now have 4 portions of what is allegedly scouse in the freezer.

The fifth got eaten.

This evening's entertainment was "Hot Pursuit" with Reese Witherspoon, Sofia Vergara et al.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2967224/

It was a buddy comedy that was actually funny.

I could get used to that idea.

I've also filled a goodly portion of next door's skip with rubble that I wanted rid of.

Which was satisfying.

Comment

Tonight's main feature was Charley Varrick (1973), one of those rare films starring Walter Matthau that isn't a comedy. Very good, I thought, and being from 1973 it does the traditional thing of putting the credits at the start, meaning that when the story ends, it fades to black and stops, rather than having an additional ten minutes listing accountants tacked on.

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Tonight's main feature was Charley Varrick (1973), one of those rare films starring Walter Matthau that isn't a comedy. Very good, I thought, and being from 1973 it does the traditional thing of putting the credits at the start, meaning that when the story ends, it fades to black and stops, rather than having an additional ten minutes listing accountants tacked on.

Goodnight all
                      Check out "Failsafe" (the one that competed with "Doctor Strangelove".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058083/

It's not as funny as me though.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053850...nm_flmg_act_76

is another, which I found (oddly enough) in some charity emporium or other.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072251...nm_flmg_act_37

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      This evening's entertainment was "Hot Pursuit" with Reese Witherspoon, Sofia Vergara et al.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2967224/
                      It would appear that Sofia Vergara has appeared in several films that I've watched.

Plainly I wasn't looking at her face much so failed to register this.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 June 2018, 07:21.

Comment

Working...
                      X