• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Happy 12th birthday TPD!

Lo! we see

TPD

on its anniversary

splendid in refulgency

ever growing, never slowing, onwards, upwards, ceaselessly

celebrated mightily

by…

The Fabulous Banana Marching Band

and they're playing ...

Happy Birthday TPD!

........ ........

. . . . . . . .

.. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
    .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

. . . . .. . . . .
    . . . . .. . . . .
    . . . . .. . . . .
    . . . . .. . . . .
    . . . . .. . . . .

.. .. .. .. .... .. .. .. ..

With thanks to BrowneIssue, who taught the band to play

Comment

Tonight I resigned myself to the fact that postponing the resumption of season 3 of Borgen until I was free of ClientCo wasn't going to work out, as they're shortly hiring a Billing Manager and we'll have to rework the entire billing system we've built to suit that person's needs, though that will at least mean we'll have an idea of what we're supposed to be making rather than making it up as we go along. So I resumed the Danish political drama

In the interim, I've learned a bit more about the weird distinction between written and spoken Danish. It seems they miss out about a third of the words they speak, not in the sense of not saying words, but in the sense of only saying about two-thirds of each individual word. As there is no formal specification nor any rhyme nor reason determining which bits get dropped, it's virtually impossible to either speak or fully understand spoken Danish unless it's your first language.

So I was moderately pleased when I was able to spot a few points where the subtitles fell short: in one case eliding a fairly detailed sentence about a specific person's attitudes into a more general statement about their party's policies, and in another smudging a fairly specific reference to Malmö into something about Sweden in general.

After that, it was Sherlock Holmes (2009) - IMDb. Though it did a pretty good job of bringing out the aspects of the character that are often ignored by other treatments - the skill at fighting with sticks, the ju-jitsu, the appallingly antisocial behaviour when bored, and suchlike stuff that gets mentioned in the stories - it sadly fell into the error of introducing bits of humour for no reason, when it would have been better - if about ten minutes shorter - to have kept the tension taut and moved the story on apace. I mean, what was the point of the bulldog farting as Irene Adler sat down? They might as well have stuck a whoopee cushion on the chair

But generally pretty good, so a qualified "buy" recommendation if you should see it going cheap in the charity shop, Zeity

And after that, a couple more episode of The Americans.

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Oh, while I remember, and SPOILER ALERT: when a peer is hanged, it is done with a silken rope, not the common hemp rope shown in this film

Comment

Morning all Murky and damp out. Great bonfire last night and amazing firework display. The Dog (tw) trembled her way through the evening at home with The Wife (tm) while I did my bit to help out running the event
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Comment

Mortgage offer received! Suddenly things seem terribly real...

Comment

And now probably off to Ikea or somesuch to look at beds for CovToddler.

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
                    Mortgage offer received! Suddenly things seem terribly real...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Quite a pleasant-looking day, though it's chilly out - a conundrum easily resolved by staying in

Comment

Working...
                      X