• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinner has been tomato soup, with croutons

Opening the bread bin earlier, I discovered half or two-thirds of the sesame seed baguette I bought last week. It hadn't gone at all mouldy, but was completely stale, which made it absolutely perfect for making croutons. Chopped it into cubes, finely chopped some fresh parsley (well, fresh-out-of-the-freezer), melted a load of butter in the big frying pan and chucked it all in, then seasoned them with a bit of salt and pepper. Let them take up all the butter and then turned the heat down a bit, and kept turning them for a minute or two to toast nicely; then tipped them out onto kitchen roll on a baking tray and left them to cool down and lose any excess grease. I had to do them in two batches, there were so many.

Once they'd cooled down I popped the tray in the fridge for a while, then took them out and set aside the ones for today, and packed the surplus in a plastic box. They'll keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks at least

Comment

Now for a beer, and episode two of The Pacific, the not-really-a-sequel-though-they-made-it-afterwards-so-it's-like-a-sequel to Band of Brothers

Comment

The almost totally unlike the first one sequel.

A totally insane war over islands no one in their right mind would fight for.

One can appreciate why the GIs in Europe were hoping against hope that they wouldn't have to fight in the Pacific once the European conflict had ended.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
          The almost totally unlike the first one sequel.

A totally insane war over islands no one in their right mind would fight for.

One can appreciate why the GIs in Europe were hoping against hope that they wouldn't have to fight in the Pacific once the European conflict had ended.
          My parents said at the time of the "70th Anniversary of VE Day" celebrations recently (nearly two years ago, it would be) that it was nonsense to suggest that everybody was overjoyed: everybody assumed that the chaps fighting in Europe would now be sent east. They reckoned all the VE Day celebration stuff in the Press and on the newsreels was a few thousand people who lived within travelling distance of Trafalgar Square and had no skin in the game

Anyway, after that I watched Inglourious Basterds () which was excellent

And although I'm now into the tail end of The Sopranos, I'm not sure I can be bothered to carry on: I might dump it and rewatch The Wire again

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all Leaving the EU later today. Lovely place.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Last evening's viewing was "Groundhog Day" all over again.

This evening's viewing will include the commentary to "Groundhog Day" all over again again.

Oh, and last night's tedious episode of "Bones". Not long until the end of that, for which we shall all be immensely grateful.

I knew that my listening to "The Final Cut" yesterday was a Bad Sign.

Ho hum.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Anyway, after that I watched Inglourious Basterds () which was excellent
                In the pub last weekend I spotted the 'inglorious basterds' DVD right next to the 'inglorious bastards' DVD, which pricked my interest. It's a different story, but seemingly influenced Tarantino in his version. I haven't watched it yet so can't comment on its merit, but it does explain why the Tarantino one is spelt wrong.

Edit: linky - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inglorious_Bastards
                Last edited by barrydidit; 1 April 2017, 08:28.

Comment

Facebook try-hards failing with crap April Fools jokes. Yawn. Some decent ones out there, like Big Mac Sauce McFlurry and White Guinness.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Exercise done. Need to do some gardening - lots of pruning to be done.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey and imminently damp out there but the forecast of lightning, which so livens up such weather, has been withdrawn, leaving us with mere rain on the way

Comment

Working...
                      X