• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    The fella they interviewed on Radio 4 confirmed that Trump could launch a nuke in 4 minutes with no real checks and balances to stop him....
    Oh good…

Comment

Tonight, I shall try the chip shop for the first time since it re-opened. I'm not certain that the Chinese couple who took it over from Salvatore have stayed, so I don't know if it'll be any good. Just have to hope for the best

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Tonight, I shall try the chip shop for the first time since it re-opened. I'm not certain that the Chinese couple who took it over from Salvatore have stayed, so I don't know if it'll be any good. Just have to hope for the best
        No Chinese couple; a couple of Asian gentlemen instead, who seemed OK but had a faint air of haplessness about them, as if they might get confused and make a huge blunder any minute.

The decor is a far cry from what it was, although many would say that's a good thing. I'm rather fond of places that look as if they've had no more attention than the occasional scrub down and lick of paint since having become a bit run-down in the 1980s, but I imagine it would appeal to people of more modern tastes.

Chips: fresh, though that's partly down to lucky timing. They were scooped out onto a polystyrene tray, despite the fact they were going to be wrapped, which I'm not keen on. But they were very good chips, and the fact that they're frying fairly small batches is a definite plus

The steak and kidney pie came still in its individual polythene wrapper, which I've never seen any other chip shop do

This meant the pastry was a bit flaccid, but it was a Pukka Pie (I suspect there's a bylaw making it illegal for a chip shop within the environs of Leicester to sell any other brand of pie), and so still a pukka pie

Wrapping: a bit amateurish, though they can't really be expected to compete on that score with Salvatore's sister's literal lifetime of experience

Oh, and another customer asked for a saveloy, but they'd run out. I don't think I've ever encountered a chip shop that had run out of saveloys before

Overall: I'll give them 6 out of 10 for now. Obviously the acid test will be the fish, but I fancied a pie tonight, so that will have to wait for another time

Comment

And now, I shall have a beer or more and prepare for the Age of Trump by watching something extremely dystopian

Comment

Watching moan dog.

Glad I don't have a tumble dryer. Oh and my microwave just went bang.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Morning all , gray and miserable here.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                The fella they interviewed on Radio 4 confirmed that Trump could launch a nuke in 4 minutes with no real checks and balances to stop him....
                Oh good…
                There's progress for you, it took Saddam 45 minutes, when do we invade? They have Oil and persecute minorities admittedly by feeding them MaccyDs.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

No Chinese couple; a couple of Asian gentlemen instead, who seemed OK but had a faint air of haplessness about them, as if they might get confused and make a huge blunder any minute.

The decor is a far cry from what it was, although many would say that's a good thing. I'm rather fond of places that look as if they've had no more attention than the occasional scrub down and lick of paint since having become a bit run-down in the 1980s, but I imagine it would appeal to people of more modern tastes.

Chips: fresh, though that's partly down to lucky timing. They were scooped out onto a polystyrene tray, despite the fact they were going to be wrapped, which I'm not keen on. But they were very good chips, and the fact that they're frying fairly small batches is a definite plus

The steak and kidney pie came still in its individual polythene wrapper, which I've never seen any other chip shop do

This meant the pastry was a bit flaccid, but it was a Pukka Pie (I suspect there's a bylaw making it illegal for a chip shop within the environs of Leicester to sell any other brand of pie), and so still a pukka pie

Wrapping: a bit amateurish, though they can't really be expected to compete on that score with Salvatore's sister's literal lifetime of experience

Oh, and another customer asked for a saveloy, but they'd run out. I don't think I've ever encountered a chip shop that had run out of saveloys before

Overall: I'll give them 6 out of 10 for now. Obviously the acid test will be the fish, but I fancied a pie tonight, so that will have to wait for another time
                  I look forward to the release of the Michelin Nick Fitz guide essential dining preparation.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Tonight I watched The Terminator, which is about a killing machine sent back from a post-apocalyptic wasteland in the twelfth year of Trump's term as President of the United States of America, or the first year of his fourth term if he doesn't get around to abolishing elections and contents himself with revoking the 22nd amendment

Then I watched The Dead Zone, in which Christopher Walken's character develops psychic powers after a car crash. He realises, through said powers, that an obnoxious, arrogant, maverick political candidate (Martin Sheen) who comes from outside the mainstream of the political process and boasts of an affinity to the working classes (despite no evidence therefore) is a hotheaded and impetuous fool who will start a nuclear holocaust. He therefore takes matters into his own hands… Christopher Walken, where is your character when the world needs him?

And finally, I watched the very first episode of The West Wing, a TV series set in an age when people could suspend disbelief enough to imagine that the Oval Office could be occupied by someone of integrity, principle, and sound moral character (Martin Sheen again, a bit older)

Goodnight all

Comment

Tonight I watched The Terminator, which is about a killing machine sent back from a post-apocalyptic wasteland in the twelfth year of Trump's term as President of the United States of America, or the first year of his fourth term if he doesn't get around to abolishing elections and contents himself with revoking the 22nd amendment

Then I watched The Dead Zone, in which Christopher Walken's character develops psychic powers after a car crash. He realises, through said powers, that an obnoxious, arrogant, maverick political candidate (Martin Sheen) who comes from outside the mainstream of the political process and boasts of an affinity to the working classes (despite no evidence therefore) is a hotheaded and impetuous fool who will start a nuclear holocaust. He therefore takes matters into his own hands… Christopher Walken, where is your character when the world needs him?

And finally, I watched the very first episode of The West Wing, a TV series set in an age when people could suspend disbelief enough to imagine that the Oval Office could be occupied by someone of integrity, principle, and sound moral character (Martin Sheen again, a bit older)

Goodnight all

Tomorrow watch this:
                      BBC iPlayer - Adam Curtis - HyperNormalisation

(it's a BBC program, so some of it will offend extreme right wingers, and some will offend extreme left wingers, my suggestion is to park your offenses and watch the whole thing)
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X