• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Morning denizens

Up earlyish today, meaning I got the Sainsbury's and M&S out-of-town shop done in time to drop it all off at home on the way back into town to collect the new iPad Pro

I made it to the car park of the foul mall wherein the Apple Store resides. It was almost empty at that time, so I found a convenient corner near a lift on one of the lower floors. But when I reversed into the parking space, the car's steering suddenly started grinding and juddering slightly, and making a horrendous grating noise

It only seemed to be happening in reverse so, hoping it wasn't as bad a problem as it sounded, I headed off and got into the Apple Store about three minutes after it opened. It was already getting busy, but I was quickly able to collar one of their nice robots people and collect my order.

Back to the car and I'd decided to see if it was OK going forwards; if so, it was only a short drive to the place that tends to my cars, so I could get it looked at. But when I started to pull out of the parking space, once again the most appalling noise and vibration came from the steering

I backed back in, noticing that it seemed to be when the wheels were turning that there was a problem. I tried pulling forward and back a couple of feet in a straight line, and that seemed OK. So, suspecting there might be some terrible problem with the steering rack, I phoned the breakdown service.

They took ages, but finally let me know that somebody should be turning up within an hour or so; and I settled down to wait.

I got out and had a look under the bonnet, just for the sake of appearances. Just then, a car came and backed into the space a couple down from me. As he turned in reverse, an unpleasant rumbling noise came from his tyres…

He got out and immediately turned to me and said "What is it with this floor? Did you hear that? I thought something was wrong with my car, with all that vibration and that rumbling noise!"

Yes: it was the weird moulded rubber floor of the car park that was the problem

I told him and his lady companion that it had freaked me out so much I'd called for a breakdown truck, and mentioned that I'd only ever parked on the roof here before, never on one of these lower floors with the weird flooring. They looked at each other with a "light dawning" expression, and said that they'd only ever parked on the roof too. Just then a car came past and, as it turned at the end of the aisle, once again we heard the graunching noise.

I decided to try to get out and, if the car worked properly on normal surfaces, cancel the breakdown truck. (I'm not sure how it was going to get in there anyway, or get me out.) I also noticed that the bit I was in, being slightly off the beaten track of the main route through the car park, had much more of the texture left on the floor than the more heavily-trafficked areas. Sure enough, once I'd driven out of that area, the noise almost completely vanished even when turning; and once I was out on the street, it was fine

So I drove to a nearby bit of on-street parking, and called the breakdown people to let them know I didn't need them. Now I'm home after a wasted hour or so, and can finally unpack my new iPad

But be warned: if you ever visit the Shires shopping mall, parking at the far end of floor 2 can seriously confuse you about the fitness to drive of your car, if you're as easily confused as I seem to be

Comment

A cautionary tale indeed. The kind of thing local news was made for!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Morning denizens

Up earlyish today, meaning I got the Sainsbury's and M&S out-of-town shop done in time to drop it all off at home on the way back into town to collect the new iPad Pro

I made it to the car park of the foul mall wherein the Apple Store resides. It was almost empty at that time, so I found a convenient corner near a lift on one of the lower floors. But when I reversed into the parking space, the car's steering suddenly started grinding and juddering slightly, and making a horrendous grating noise

It only seemed to be happening in reverse so, hoping it wasn't as bad a problem as it sounded, I headed off and got into the Apple Store about three minutes after it opened. It was already getting busy, but I was quickly able to collar one of their nice robots people and collect my order.

Back to the car and I'd decided to see if it was OK going forwards; if so, it was only a short drive to the place that tends to my cars, so I could get it looked at. But when I started to pull out of the parking space, once again the most appalling noise and vibration came from the steering

I backed back in, noticing that it seemed to be when the wheels were turning that there was a problem. I tried pulling forward and back a couple of feet in a straight line, and that seemed OK. So, suspecting there might be some terrible problem with the steering rack, I phoned the breakdown service.

They took ages, but finally let me know that somebody should be turning up within an hour or so; and I settled down to wait.

I got out and had a look under the bonnet, just for the sake of appearances. Just then, a car came and backed into the space a couple down from me. As he turned in reverse, an unpleasant rumbling noise came from his tyres…

He got out and immediately turned to me and said "What is it with this floor? Did you hear that? I thought something was wrong with my car, with all that vibration and that rumbling noise!"

Yes: it was the weird moulded rubber floor of the car park that was the problem

I told him and his lady companion that it had freaked me out so much I'd called for a breakdown truck, and mentioned that I'd only ever parked on the roof here before, never on one of these lower floors with the weird flooring. They looked at each other with a "light dawning" expression, and said that they'd only ever parked on the roof too. Just then a car came past and, as it turned at the end of the aisle, once again we heard the graunching noise.

I decided to try to get out and, if the car worked properly on normal surfaces, cancel the breakdown truck. (I'm not sure how it was going to get in there anyway, or get me out.) I also noticed that the bit I was in, being slightly off the beaten track of the main route through the car park, had much more of the texture left on the floor than the more heavily-trafficked areas. Sure enough, once I'd driven out of that area, the noise almost completely vanished even when turning; and once I was out on the street, it was fine

So I drove to a nearby bit of on-street parking, and called the breakdown people to let them know I didn't need them. Now I'm home after a wasted hour or so, and can finally unpack my new iPad

But be warned: if you ever visit the Shires shopping mall, parking at the far end of floor 2 can seriously confuse you about the fitness to drive of your car, if you're as easily confused as I seem to be

Comment

First post from the new iPad with fancy folding keyboard attached

It's got a whole app dedicated to TPD! "Safari", it's called

Comment

Current status: ignoring the flood of emails arriving in my inbox saying "Your ID was used from a new device! If that was you, ignore this email."

Comment

A van's just rear-ended a car outside

I was thinking the other day it's been a few months since I've heard a collision out there

Thing is, they were a few yards after the pedestrian crossing for their direction of travel, so I'm not sure how they managed it - it's usually down to somebody not noticing the traffic ahead stopping for a red light

Comment

Many siren-bearing vehicles of various kinds here now, including at least one fire engine. Looks like they're closing the road for a bit; traffic is being turned round and sent back towards town

Hope I can still get to the Chinese without a detour…

Comment

It seems the van pushed the car it rear-ended into the back of the car in front of it. The fire brigade have apparently determined that none of them are about to explode and, after a bit of fiddling under bonnets, gone away. No ambulance has been. The police are left to clear up the mess, which has currently got the road down to two lanes and is generally causing chaos

Comment

Working...
                      X