• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DaveB make sure you send them the letter by registered post. Otherwise they will deny receiving it.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      DaveB make sure you send them the letter by registered post. Otherwise they will deny receiving it.
      Already and waiting for a trip to the post office tomorrow morning
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Spent the last hour or so composing a formal letter threatening the guys who sold my "posh" road bike with court if they don't sort out the problems with it or replace the frame.

Took it in for a strip down and service and it turns out the internal cable guides have worn out so the gear cables can't be replaced. They are supposed to be removable for just this situation but some bright spark who built the frame decided the best way to keep them in place was to fill the bottom bracket area (where the axel for the cranks goes through) with expanding foam. So guides can't be removed and even if you did you'd never be able to fit new ones, so the frame is essentially a write off. Been arguing with them about it for 4 weeks now and they best they have come up with is to sell me a new frame at a discount, which is still over £500, because it is out of warranty.

Regardless of the warranty the Sale of Goods act as was when I bought it allows for a claim for faulty goods or an item being unfit for purpose for up to 6 years after purchase, so based on advice from Trading Standards I'm going with that on the basis that the bike was unserviceable when it was sold and as such unfit for purpose. Like selling a car and then telling the owner later that corroded clutch hydraulic pipes can't be replaced, you have to scrap the whole car and buy a new one.
        Did Trading Standards mention anything about the ombudsman services that all companies are supposed to use since September last year. It may be worth asking which service the company uses - just so that you can say I suggest using an ombudsman and they didn't offer one.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Did Trading Standards mention anything about the ombudsman services that all companies are supposed to use since September last year. It may be worth asking which service the company uses - just so that you can say I suggest using an ombudsman and they didn't offer one.
          Yeah, they way they phrase it is offering to "use a mediation service to resolve the dispute." and some words about Practice Direction and Civil Procedure Rules.

Comment

Back at the hotel, where I was unable to get in through the door to reception, as room keys no longer open it - the keys here are still actual metal things, rather than invisible fields of force, but the lock that used to open the door now only responds to a master key, rather than room keys as it did back in 2009

It took several buzzes over the space of a couple of minutes to get the night reception chap to appear, which he did from the door to the Beefeater. Rumours that he's imprisoned the Beefeater staff as part of some nefarious plot to take control of the onion rings in the mistaken belief that "onion rings" are a bunch of international onion cartels rather than a variety of savoury snack and only took so long because the last one was struggling a bit, are unconfirmed. Anyway, I'm in, and that's the main thing

Comment

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Yeah, they way they phrase it is offering to "use a mediation service to resolve the dispute." and some words about Practice Direction and Civil Procedure Rules.
                If you bought on credit card then start a chargeback procedure...
                Join IPSE

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey morning; been raining too

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                    If you bought on credit card then start a chargeback procedure...
                    Nope, it wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      There's your problem. You shouldn't have cut down your rum intake so quickly....
                      +1 It's like divers getting the bends if they come up too quickly.

Comment

Working...
                      X