• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    From what I've seen on various forums frequented by tradesmen, it seems the reason for the 75cm clearance isn't because they fear heat will damage the thing, but because you need to be able to turn the electricity off if the cooker catches fire

Also, one chap says that as long as you're willing to sign the relevant certificate stating that you were informed of the issue before installation and you accept the resultant risk, they're covered. So I need to find a local chap who takes such an eminently sensible approach
    That'll do it. If you're thinking of an electric cooker then it'll need to be on it's own ring which is probably more agravation. The socket for the gas oven will just be on a standard kitchen socket type ring as all it needs to do is power the little light and the spark for igniting the gas.

I'd be more concerned about isolating the gas supply in the event of a fire in a gas oven. That'll be round the back though and out of sight so not an elf and safety concern

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      That'll do it. If you're thinking of an electric cooker then it'll need to be on it's own ring which is probably more agravation. The socket for the gas oven will just be on a standard kitchen socket type ring as all it needs to do is power the little light and the spark for igniting the gas.

I'd be more concerned about isolating the gas supply in the event of a fire in a gas oven. That'll be round the back though and out of sight so not an elf and safety concern
      It's an electric cooker point, the type with a big red switch, also incorporating a 13A socket which powers the gas oven's spark thingy. But I don't think it's ever been used; I think there's been a gas cooker - very possibly the same one - since the place was converted to flats in the 1980s. God knows if the electric cooker point still meets specifications

The gas has to be turned off by the tap at the meter, which is… in the cellar, two floors down!

Comment

Fish fingers for tea, because sometimes only proper food like normal people eat will do

Comment

Fish fingers for tea, because sometimes only proper food like normal people eat will do
          Chicken nuggets for me... (home-made)
          Join IPSE

Comment

Fluff it - TFBZS
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hmm. Found some suggestion that a gas cooker with an eye-level grill (like the existing one) only needs 60cm clearance above the hob, presumably because of the back supporting the grill. I'd actually prefer one of those, though they seem less common nowadays. I'll have to find the actual regulations and see what they say

Comment

Hmm. Found some suggestion that a gas cooker with an eye-level grill (like the existing one) only needs 60cm clearance above the hob, presumably because of the back supporting the grill. I'd actually prefer one of those, though they seem less common nowadays. I'll have to find the actual regulations and see what they say
                No, turns out that person was an idiot. It's 610mm above the *grill* and apparently refers to overhead cupboards and such, which aren't my problem

Comment

Enough of this cooker-related nonsense for one night

Goodnight all

Comment

TFBSZ
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Rather grey out, though looking as if it may brighten up in a bit

Comment

Working...
                      X