• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally taking the time to sit down and go through the training materials for Amazon OpsWorks, which is basically Chef specially adapted for AWS. As ExClientCorp invested so much time and money in getting me au fait with Chef, it makes sense to put that to work for the benefit of my own projects

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Home! What's more, with petrol!

Surprisingly good run today. Though it got off to a bad start when, literally as I was standing up to go, the bloke who hired me said "Oh by the way I wanted to ask you, what's a good way of doing {complicated explanation of thing he wants to do}", which is something he keeps doing. To add to the annoyance, it often takes a couple of minutes to work out what he's trying to achieve, and it often turns out that he'd probably be better off going about the whole thing in a different way.

But there, helping them out with stuff like this was part of the deal, as they're really ops people who are having to turn themselves into a dev team on the fly

I just wish he'd ask this stuff when there's half-an-hour to go, as it would help pass the time. Ho hum
      Maybe get up to go half an hour before so that he then stops you thus filling that half hour?
      Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
        Maybe get up to go half an hour before so that he then stops you thus filling that half hour?
        Might be worth a try

Comment

So once again it goes: get home, recover from the commute enough to make dinner, eat dinner, start working on something, get just far enough to begin to feel like I'm making progress, and look! it's time to get to bed so I can set off early in the morning again

Ah well, I'll be glad of it when the self-invoice generates

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Home! What's more, with petrol!

Surprisingly good run today. Though it got off to a bad start when, literally as I was standing up to go, the bloke who hired me said "Oh by the way I wanted to ask you, what's a good way of doing {complicated explanation of thing he wants to do}", which is something he keeps doing. To add to the annoyance, it often takes a couple of minutes to work out what he's trying to achieve, and it often turns out that he'd probably be better off going about the whole thing in a different way.

But there, helping them out with stuff like this was part of the deal, as they're really ops people who are having to turn themselves into a dev team on the fly

I just wish he'd ask this stuff when there's half-an-hour to go, as it would help pass the time. Ho hum
            and you need the overnight to think exploit.

That sounds interesting, can I have a think about it tonight , do some research and put something together for you in the morning?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              and you need the overnight to think exploit.

That sounds interesting, can I have a think about it tonight , do some research and put something together for you in the morning?
              Yesterday it was all about representing hierarchies in a relational database using adjacency lists. I explained the problems and recommended switching to nested sets, but he was dubious, finding them a bit complex. I explained the only alternative was to do most of the work in Python, but that was the problem - the contractor I replaced (he didn't like being away from home) had already written the entire thing in Python and it was taking about ninety seconds to construct its tree.

Today I took my copy of Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties in to help him out - it has an entire chapter about each approach. But in the meantime he'd determined that the previous contractor's code had been written with great elegance and purity of style, but in such a way that it loaded over three million rows of data into memory, then whittled them down to the couple of hundred items that actually formed the tree. By the simple process of selecting the required nodes first, then getting the metadata necessary to arrange them into a tree with about three or four queries, he got the time down to a few milliseconds without any further help from me

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey and damp out

The rain overnight was so heavy that it woke me up at around four o'clock

But it looks as if most of it has passed over now.

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Comment

Morning all . Dog walked - it's muddy out there. Lost cyclists helped. I'm now all out of good deeds for the day.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X