• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't there a Lidl near you?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Isn't there a Lidl near you?
      Round the corner, by the old Great Central Railway steam engine maintenance shed, which is now a bicycle shop.

Comment

Good write-up of last Saturday's Boring Conference VI: Notes from Boring 2016

Comment

Hah! PutativeClientCo's internal politics rear their head. Apparently their internal HR people, who the techies have been trying to bypass, have come back with a candidate of their own and, for a change, he's pretty good. So now they need to talk to the Operations Director, to see if they can get the budget to hire two people and take both of us on!

If not, they're inclined towards offering me the gig, but I get the impression this may need a bit of politicking on their end.

With a bit of luck the other gig which I'd much prefer will move ahead at a rush and I'll manage to get in there instead before they sort it all out. Or maybe I'll end up with neither

Ho hum. Chicken and spuds are in the oven roasting, which is my main concern at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Ho hum. Chicken and spuds are in the oven roasting, which is my main concern at the moment
            And very nice they were too

It has occurred to me afterwards, though, that I would have been perfectly fine with half the amount of food I dished up. No wonder I need to lose weight

Comment

And very nice they were too

It has occurred to me afterwards, though, that I would have been perfectly fine with half the amount of food I dished up. No wonder I need to lose weight
              You & me, both.

Comment

Kitchen bin was full, so I took the bag out. Naturally, having been fine all day, it's now raining

Very warm rain, though.

There's a couple of screws and a bolt on my desk. I can't remember where they came from. I'm expecting some piece of furniture to collapse either on me or beneath me in the near future

Comment

Oh, just remembered I've got the rest of that thing Flood to watch

Comment

Oh, just remembered I've got the rest of that thing Flood to watch
                    Well, the second half turned out to be a ridiculous pile of crap

Seriously, it was full of plot devices that made no sense other than as a way to provide a bit of suspense - not trivial things, but major story points that were completely divorced from any sense of reality.

An example that, in retrospect, turned out to seem comparatively minor was the case of the people who were being swept along by the current in a liferaft in the immediate vicinity of the Millennium Dome, downstream side. Through a slightly convoluted sequence they finished up underground, eventually getting into the Underground itself. By any assessment of their journey, they were still close to the Dome, but the place they found themselves in was more like a depot related to one of the subsurface lines, like the Metropolitan. Then they set off walking and, shortly afterwards, arrived at… a Jubilee Line platform at Charing Cross! How the hell they got there, loads deeper than the place they started from, several miles away, and having presumably walked through loads of other stations in between: never explained

And as for the Roundel sign poking out of the water near the start of that saga that had "Underground" in a font that wasn't Johnston Sans - well,

Edit to add: yes, the Jubilee Line no longer goes to Charing Cross, but it used to until they built the southern extension that goes to where they came from; after which that bit was closed. I believe you could still walk through the tunnels to get there if there's no trains running, and TfL does let it out to be used for filming and occasionally special events, but they'd still have to have walked the length of the Jubilee Line southern extension to get there.

Oh, and a key plot point was then the fact that the specific platform they were on had been used as an air raid shelter in WWII and had a surviving blast-proof door, but of course that war was many years before the Jubilee Line was built.
                    Last edited by NickFitz; 10 May 2016, 02:19.

Comment

Morning all

And a direly dreadful morn it is too, to be sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X