• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    They deliberately move stuff around just to force you to walk about a lot, in the hope you'll be tempted into buying something you weren't planning to

Took me nearly five minutes to find the salt a few weeks ago

I saw some programme on the telly, must be over ten years ago now, which had a retired couple talking about how they spent their time. The husband had created an Excel spreadsheet mapping out the supermarket aisles, and that's what they kept their shopping list in. Then, just before they went shopping, he printed the list out and it was automatically in the right order for going up and down the aisles

They didn't say how he coped with the eggs being moved next to the pitta breads, which were moved to where the crumpets used to be, which went to where to where the brown rolls once were, etc… as happened a couple of months back.
    You tick 'crumpets' on your spreadie if you want pitta. Stick it to the man...

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      You tick 'crumpets' on your spreadie if you want pitta. Stick it to the man...
      Naan tonight - chicken tikka masala a la Patak's, rice and naan

Comment

Comment

Got around to looking up the premises in which I live on the 1901 census. On the relevant night, the household consisted of a boot & shoe manufacturer named Charles H. Roberts (41), his wife Bessie (43), their three children Sydney C. (12), Arthur L. (9), and Harry S. (8); a visitor named William Agar (53), Unitarian minister by trade; the cook, Harriet B. Underwood (24); and the housemaid, Elizabeth C. Carr (28).

Comment

It seems that William Agar had taken up a ministry in Sidmouth two years previously:
            AGAR William. B 15 January 1848 at Leicester. UC. Min 1874-1914, from 1899 at Sidmouth. D 12 Feb 1919 at Sidmouth. I:1919, 61. * 1919.
            - Obituries of Unitarian Ministers

Comment

And Charles H. Roberts was the oldest child of:
              Thomas ROBERTS
              Born 1832 at Hardingstone, Northamptonshire, son of Thomas ROBERTS, victualler, and his wife Catherine. In 1856 at Northampton he married Elizabeth Corby LOVELL and their children included Charles Henry ROBERTS 1859, Harry ROBERTS 1863, Annie ROBERTS 1865, Emily ROBERTS 1869 and Kate ROBERTS 1873. He worked firstly as a leather cutter in Worcester and in 1872 founded the Portland Shoe Co in Leicester. Until the firm's amalgamation with the Ward-White Co in 1979, it was the oldest private limited company in the shoe trade in Leicester still controlled and managed by descendants of the founder. Thomas and his sons Charles and Harry were all shareholders in the Public Benefit Boot Co.
              - Biographical Notes: Surnames P-S

Comment

And, rather astonishingly, there is a book: Ancient & Historical Buildings In The Vicinity Of The Portland Shoe Works Leicester

According to the local rag, the works met an awful fate: "T. Roberts & Son (Portland Shoes), The Newarke. Now used by De Montfort University."

Comment

And here's Charles's factory as it is now: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.63...7i13312!8i6656

Comment

Dunno - I don't eat cheese

I don't see them on https://www.greggs.co.uk/menu/pasties-and-bakes/
                    Steak & Stilton is good!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

And here's Charles's factory as it is now: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.63...7i13312!8i6656
                      That's not the factory as it was in 1901 at the time of the census, though - that one was destroyed by fire in 1908, and the current building erected on the site. But he still ran it

Comment

Working...
                      X