• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Presumably the par boil time varies depending on size.
    Ah, that's where the vinegar comes into play: it reduces the amount of breakdown of the potato as it's boiled, so in fact the timings can be about the same and it's not really a problem

The chemistry is explained by Kenji Lopez-Alt in his article How to Make Perfect Thin and Crisp French Fries - basically, it's all about the pectin methylesterase in the cell walls

But if you make your chips mega-thick then definitely err towards ten minutes rather than five
    Last edited by NickFitz; 13 October 2015, 07:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
      Not liking the cold and dark mornings
      You & me both.

Comment

Morning all.

And a glorious sunny morn it is too, to be sure.

In with the hoi polloi yet again.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

Morning all.

And a glorious sunny morn it is too, to be sure.

In with the hoi polloi yet again.
          Morning

It's turned sunny here too, now.

And I can hear the merry clanking of the scaffolding being taken down from outside next-door-but-one.

Comment

Morning all.

Have left a clue to last week's good news as another thread.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              it arrives tomorrow. Nom
              It has arrived. Poor planning on my side means we have no spuds in the house and Pizza is on the menu for tonight. Mrs P is out with the girlies on Friday so my artery clogging evening of junk food can wait until then.

In other news the Director of Cardboard at Amazon has reached his target for the month.

Comment

It has arrived. Poor planning on my side means we have no spuds in the house and Pizza is on the menu for tonight. Mrs P is out with the girlies on Friday so my artery clogging evening of junk food can wait until then.

In other news the Director of Cardboard at Amazon has reached his target for the month.
                Make sure you get the right kind of spuds! I personally prefer Maris Piper; if at all possible, from either Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, or Suffolk.

Comment

Speaking of spuds, I need to go shopping for the stuff I forgot on Saturday (including spuds), and to pick up my prescription, and to collect stuff from the Amazon Locker beyond the other side of the city; but now it's nearly lunchtime, when people emerge blinking from their offices and clutter the public spaces. I think I'll have another coffee and a bacon cob instead, and wait until this afternoon

Comment

What did you buy? I'm feeling the urge to cook chips!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      What did you buy? I'm feeling the urge to cook chips!
                      Breville easy clean digital fryer.

This one

Comment

Working...
                      X