• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Tesco's finest Chicken Mulligatawny soup (with a yellow sticker £1.04) with 2 cheese and tomato baps for lunch
    Update - with 3 packs of Walkers Cheese and Onion baked crisps and a Bar of Snickers

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      What I find really frightening is that these people think they're good.
      The less you know about the subject, the more confident you can be.

In one study, 86% of Stanford MBA students rated themselves "above average" when compared to their classmates.

With maths like that, they could become Education Secretary.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have now officially qualified my self as dumb.

Page 3 of file:

http://www.piekarz.pl/pdf.php?id=15774

Which lead to

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...0%20nm&f=false

Which lead, in turn, to

The Human Eye, Optimized For Sunlight. Maybe. – Built on Facts

Which lead to

Planck's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

within which my brain exploded around about the bit that waffles on about Kirchoff's Law of Thermal Radiation.

All I was interested in was why Bright Red leds peak at 700nm, whereas GaAlAs leds peak at about 660nm, whereas HiEfficiency leds peak at about 630nm.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          That's why you have so many expenses. A group of contractors had off for coffee every morning. None of us claim it as we wouldn't claim it in the outside world....

My company's expense policy is very simple:

given the choice would you do it anyway. If you would prefer not to do it, claim for it otherwise don't bother. Travel is a given (I would prefer to work from home). Lunch and coffee are not expensed as I would pay for them regardless...
          Firstly it's unrelated to my spreadsheet thing because I total all expenses as one line item (Well, two actually split between company credit card and "out of pocket" expenses) but why on earth would you not claim for all expenses that you're entitled to? Claiming lunch through my company allows me to save on the VAT, claim tax relief and save on my personal tax by not having to declare dividends to fund my eating.

If I'm going to spend half my life away from home I'm sure as hell going to make my company pay for it!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            Firstly it's unrelated to my spreadsheet thing because I total all expenses as one line item (Well, two actually split between company credit card and "out of pocket" expenses) but why on earth would you not claim for all expenses that you're entitled to? Claiming lunch through my company allows me to save on the VAT, claim tax relief and save on my personal tax by not having to declare dividends to fund my eating.

If I'm going to spend half my life away from home I'm sure as hell going to make my company pay for it!
            SimonMac and I had this exact conversation with people who weren't at the Christmas party... It's something that we aren't going to agree on as I really don't want to push the boat out.

I like the fact HMRC can do everything in a few minutes and then start suggesting ways I can save tax (which was the outcome of my last inspection 10 years ago)...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              SimonMac and I had this exact conversation with people who weren't at the Christmas party... It's something that we aren't going to agree on as I really don't want to push the boat out.

I like the fact HMRC can do everything in a few minutes and then start suggesting ways I can save tax (which was the outcome of my last inspection 10 years ago)...
              Fair enough, but I guess you don't stay away with work? It just seems a complete no brainer to maximise my takehome by taking a non-aggressive stance with expenses. I currently average about £11 per day on-site to cover breakfast, lunch and the odd drink.

Given that your average hotel breakfast is £8 - £10 alone, I don't feel I'm taking the piss, but at the same time I'm definitely not willing to swallow an extra couple of grand a year out of my personal tax allowance for no good reason.
              Last edited by vwdan; 3 February 2015, 14:43.

Comment

Do you know what, I am starting to belive it when some posters say they feel ganged up on this forum.

For shame really
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

But the company doesn't pay for it, at most they pay for 20% of it, and on a £1.85p coffee my time is worth more than 37p

You could probably stramline the process so its not much of a ball ache at the end of the month to reconcile reciepts etc, but mainly I just CBA

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Do you know what, I am starting to belive it when some posters say they feel ganged up on this forum.

For shame really
                    Some people just ask for it.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Fair enough, but I guess you don't stay away with work? It just seems a complete no brainer to maximise my takehome by taking a non-aggressive stance with expenses. I currently average about £11 per day on-site to cover breakfast, lunch and the odd drink.

Given that your average hotel breakfast is £8 - £10 alone, I don't feel I'm taking the piss, but at the same time I'm definitely not willing to swallow an extra couple of grand a year out of my personal tax allowance for no good reason.
                      So all that for £440 a year? (going on a 200 day year)

Do you have the same dilemma when you take a day off and lost a days billing?

Comment

Working...
                      X