• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am wondering if I may have to *shudder* consider working in blighty this year

Really don't want to do the weekly commute again
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
      Got halfway to work this morning when suddenly couldn't get the car into gear. Any gear. Managed to limp to side of the road. Worried that I might have to buy a new gearbox but on the other hand relieved that now I'm contracting I can at least afford a new gearbox.

AA towed me to a garage, turns out it just needs a new cable. Still the wrong side of £150 but much better than £500+, especially after what I spent in the new year sales
      Clutch cable or gearbox cable?

Comment

Gosh.

They really don't remember stuff from one year to the next.

An assignment has to be given in this week.

Simple timer sort of thing, written in pic assembler.

And none of them seem to have achieved anything.

At all.

For some reason they've been instructed to use Proteus, which will run the pic code, but it hasn't been suggested that they first of all use MPLAB to make sure the code actually does sommat.

Ho hum.

Comment

In other news, there's a funny smell in here.

And I think it's me.

<pffffffffft!>

Lovely lentil soup for tea yesterday.

It doesn't help that I have to keep the doors closed to prevent frostbite.

Comment

QOTD: "Let's take that ambiguity, and make it a reality!"

Wouldn't that be a bad thing?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
              Clutch cable or gearbox cable?
              Gearbox cable... the clutch pedal was fine but the gearstick wouldn't move into any of the gears.

Edit: Having done a bit of googling and checking prices against what they quoted me it seems to be the gear linkage cable(s) that have gone.
              Last edited by DannyF1966; 6 January 2015, 12:13.
              • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
              • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                QOTD: "Let's take that ambiguity, and make it a reality!"

Wouldn't that be a bad thing?
                Fuzzy logic.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
                  Gearbox cable... the clutch pedal was fine but the gearstick wouldn't move into any of the gears.
                  Had a similar problem with the ZeitCorolla a couple of years ago doing my Sunday afternoon shop.

Last shop of the day, came back to the car, got in, started engine & tried to stick it in Reverse, nothing, Drive, nothing.

The cable had got disconnected at the lever end, requiring the dismantling of the centre console.

Cable ties got it home & drilling a 1/16th inch hole & fitting a washer & split pin provided a permanent fix.

If there was any sort of clip, I never found it.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    Am wondering if I may have to *shudder* consider working in blighty this year

Really don't want to do the weekly commute again
                    I'm wondering if I may have to *shudder* consider working in London

Comment

Back to the fray

Comment

Working...
                      X