• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Got to thinking about Night Hunter for Amiga, and checked the French Wikipedia entry: Night Hunter

The biggest problems I had doing that project were all caused by the 32-colour graphics consuming so much memory (the original ST version had 16). Those graphics quite literally added several months to the development time, as I had to find ever more ingenious ways to squeeze everything in to 512K.

It's just occurred to me that nowhere - not in fr.wikipedia.org, nor any of the Amiga games sites that list it, nor any reviews - have I ever seen any indication that anybody has ever noticed the difference.
    I first read that as "32-bit graphics". I thought that was a bit advanced for the Amiga.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      I first read that as "32-bit graphics". I thought that was a bit advanced for the Amiga.
      Would've been good

Though of course nobody could afford enough memory for that back then

Comment

No one will ever need more than 640k.

Comment

I'd read it as 32 colour (or color) and understood it as 32 bit colour (or color).

It's soooooo long ago in process terms.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
            I'd read it as 32 colour (or color) and understood it as 32 bit colour (or color).

It's soooooo long ago in process terms.
            I momentarily doubted myself while writing it

Resolution of 320x200 => 8000 bytes for a single bitplane. Due to various complexities relating to scrolling and the way the screens were mapped (which was originally done for a flip-screen technique on the ST, and not adaptable to progressive rendering in anything but full screen images), the screen buffer had to be three screen widths, and there had to be two (so the next set of screens could be drawn on one while the other buffer was being displayed), so that's 48000 bytes for 1 bit, meaning 16 colours (4 bit) would have needed 192,000 bytes; but the extra bit for 32 colours bumped it up to 240,000, or just under 240K. That's just for display ram. All the sprites used for building the landscapes and for the characters also went up in size by 25% compared to the original versions.

It's no wonder the finished product, once my minuscule bit of debug code was removed, had something like 112 bytes free on a 512K machine

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Morning all.

The Agent Orange mould killer stuff is doing its thing.

I've almost got the kitchen back to a state where I can cook Sunday lunch.

I don't think I'll be cleaning the houses today.

Comment

Afternoon all
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Mr N is back later today, bearing proper cheddar, lamb, venison and sausages as well as Nyetimber
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Still not feeling 100% today.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X