• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Oh dear, one of those holidays.

Is it all going well with the Zeitparents?
    As well as might sensibly be expected, thanks.

ZeitMater now thinks she's at home & will have to get up at 6:30 to make sure I get to work on time.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      "He finds, to his astonishment, that he can do quite as much work with one pot of beer a day as he could with two" - Chambers' Edinburgh Journal No. 441. June 12, 1852
      By Gad sir! What unconscionably good English is therein written!

The use of clauses, commas, semicolons etc. is quite, quite prodigious.

Not sommat u r likely to c these days, I'll be bound.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

LOL

Comment

It seems the suited one has invaded general

I have him on my ignore list, but people keep quoting him.

Is there any way of being able to put whole threads by people so you can ignore them?
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

You'll enjoy this one: Chambers' Edinburgh Journal No. 460. October 23, 1852: Effects of the Earth's Rotation on Locomotion.

Some chap argues that, due to the rotation of the Earth, a train travelling fast enough to get from London to Liverpool in a couple of hours would be derailed, or at least suffer "violent and dangerous oscillation"

This is presumably why Virgin Trains don't take the risk of completing the journey in that time

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              You'll enjoy this one: Chambers' Edinburgh Journal No. 460. October 23, 1852: Effects of the Earth's Rotation on Locomotion.

Some chap argues that, due to the rotation of the Earth, a train travelling fast enough to get from London to Liverpool in a couple of hours would be derailed, or at least suffer "violent and dangerous oscillation"

This is presumably why Virgin Trains don't take the risk of completing the journey in that time
              The Project Gutenberg eBook of Chambers' Edinburgh Journal No. 460. October 23, 1852

What is to be done with the money which is realised in the ordinary course of affairs, has latterly become a kind of puzzle. There it goes on accumulating as a result of industry; but what then? A person can but eat one dinner in the day; two or three coats are about all he needs for the outer man; he can but live in one house at a time; and, in short, after paying away all he needs to pay, he finds that he has not a little over for—investment. Since our young days, this word investment has come remarkably into use. All are looking for investments; and as supply ordinarily follows demand, up there rise, at periodical intervals, an amazing number of plans for the said investments—in plain English, relieving people of their money. A few years ago, railways were the favourite absorbents. Railways, on a somewhat more honest principle, may possibly again have their day. Meanwhile, the man of money has opened up to him a very comprehensive field for the investment of his cash: he can send it upon any mission he chooses; he may dig turf with it, or he may dig gold; he may catch whales, or he may catch sprats, or do fifty other things; but if he see it again after having relinquished his hold upon it, he must have exercised more discretion than falls to the lot of the majority of Her Majesty's lieges in their helter-skelter steeple-chasing after 20 per cent.Our present business, however, is not with legitimate speculation, but with schemes in which no discretion is exercised, or by which discretion is set to sleep—in a word, with bubble investments;

Credit Derivatives anyone?

invade the gold regions of the Australian continent with a monster engine, contrived by the indefatigable Crushcliff
              Half a million of the shares were duly allotted; and that done, to the supreme delectation of the stags, Mr Stickemup the broker, in conjunction with his old friend and colleague Mr Knockemoff
              Last edited by Mich the Tester; 22 July 2014, 12:19.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Not sommat u r likely 2 c these days, I'll be bound.

FTFM

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  It seems the suited one has invaded general

I have him on my ignore list, but people keep quoting him.

Is there any way of being able to put whole threads by people so you can ignore them?
                  You could give him a job to keep him too busy to post.

Someone must have a project that needs the suity touch?

Comment

In other news, a swift rewrite of the proximity sensor software has improved it somewhat over previous efforts.

Passing a flag from the interrupt back to the main loop so that results are used when ready, plus a 16 element rolling average appears to have tamed some of the previous enthusiasm for wild excursions.

Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      You could give him a job to keep him too busy to post.

Someone must have a project that needs the suity touch?
                      I don't think I've ever had a client I hate enough to inflict Suity on them....
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X