• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't remember being told about medieval sleeping.

I have wondered though, whether the advice to ignore 3 meals a day and eat when you're hungry could also work for sleep - I'm pretty sure I'd do better with four short kips. Seems to work for babies till we condition them to keep our hours.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      I don't remember being told about medieval sleeping.

I have wondered though, whether the advice to ignore 3 meals a day and eat when you're hungry could also work for sleep - I'm pretty sure I'd do better with four short kips. Seems to work for babies till we condition them to keep our hours.
      It was usual for people to break sleep up into two segments, apparently - this is why you hear of things like monks going to mass in the middle of the night. As, particularly in winter, staying up after sunset meant sitting in poor light and probably getting cold, people would go to sleep then. They'd wake after three or four hours and maybe have a snack or whatever, then go back to sleep after an hour or so.

This pattern only really died out because of changes in work patterns due to industrialisation and the widespread availability of artificial light.

More at the fount of all wisdom: Segmented sleep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Bored.

now.

"watching" Midsummer Murders on ITV3, which ZeitMater is alleged to like.

She's slept through most of it.

Comment

Went to the pub.

Not long after I arrived, the gaffer closed the doors: some travellers, who he'd knocked back a few hours earlier, had been let into a pub up the road towards the city centre. The road was now temporarily closed while the Tactical Support Group dealt with the aftermath.

This is one of the main A roads into the city.

I suspect a young assistant manager has learnt a valuable lesson.

When my mate arrived, I had to undo several locks and bolts to let him in

Comment

Bugger - just sat on my glasses A kinda sliding sit - frame is knackered and they're now balanced on my schnozz. Spare pair (old prescription) in desk drawer at clientCo.

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Morning
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Toe is still throbbing and its a tad difficult to get around.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I just walked to Llandudno pier and back. Nice walk.

Comment

dropped family and friends off for local race for life event

bought secondary domain for plan b (ouch but it could have been far worse)

sorted out logo for plan b

collected family from race for life

now need to sort out plan b marketing bits...
                      Last edited by eek; 8 June 2014, 13:06.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X