• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    WNS+1

I've got a set of WMF knives that I picked up for cheap and are still going strong after 15 years. Just sharpen them when they get used. Saying that I've got a couple of old plastic handled Kitchen Devil knives that are even older and still take a good edge when you sharpen them.

Chefs Knife

and a vegetable knife

will do pretty much everything you need between them.

In fact I use the chefs knife almost to the exclusion of anything else unless it's a fiddly job like boning a chicken or something. I actually find the larger knife easier to handle.
    I'd also recommend a fruit knife as well, which I use for veg as well as fruit, certain fruit such as tomatoes and chillies will blunt your knife pretty quickly, aubergines will do the same too.

If you do bone meat then get a proper boning knife, the grip is better and the blade thicker, also similar for fish, a filleting knife is great as it has a flexible blade.

Also don't fuss over sharpeners, don't get a steel if you're not sure how to use it, you're more likely to blunt your knife and ruin the edge. Get one of the ones you drag your knife through ( yeah, I know), buts better than ruining a good knife.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Morning!

Lovely morning, now it cloudy

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      They're not that great, tend to lose their edge very quickly.
      That's true - I'm constantly sharpening them on the stone. I end up using GF#1s mostly - they're sharp. I got my Globals as a Christmas pressie so reluctant to dump them...

4 days and counting...
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
        Morning!

Lovely morning, now it cloudy

That's true - I'm constantly sharpening them on the stone. I end up using GF#1s mostly - they're sharp. I got my Globals as a Christmas pressie so reluctant to dump them...

4 days and counting...
        I hope the person who bought them a a pressie also gave you a penny, it's bad luck to give knives as a gift.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Thankful for the fact I have noise cancelling headphones, we have a loud PM here at clientco. There are quiet rooms for when you need to have a long call, she never bleedin' uses them
          Last edited by norrahe; 24 April 2014, 08:38.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Is it home time yet??

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Is it home time yet??
              5 hours left today
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                5 hours left today
                Unfortunately so

And I know that a meeting I have last thing will inevitably overrun, meaning I leave later

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey misty morning up here

Back at ClientCo

Comment

How's the windmill?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      5 hours left today
                      a little over 2 hours for myself. I'm finishing today at 12.30

Comment

Working...
                      X