• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I woke up humming "The Gunner's Dream".

This is not a good sign.

Comment

Gosh.

Just rescued two potentiometers from the junk room.

One was on the very top of a rack & I had to climb on top of a 19" rack to get it.

Lovely wooden box. 1947 vintage.

The meter doesn't seem to work.

Ho hum.

The other one has two 1.5V "radio batteries" in it.

The meter in this one looks like it might have a chance.

I'm about to get a Kelvin bridge. In another lovely wooden box.

And I seem to recall yet another lurking in there somewhere.

Comment

Kelvin bridge works.

Appears accurate too.

It measures down to 1 milli ohm.

Though my power supply complains a bit coz of the current demand (>2A).

Comment

I've turned into Willllllllmmmmmmmsssssslllllloooooowwwww.

Oh yes.

Now I remember.

Bored.

Now.

Comment

An hour and a half to go.

Comment

Well, that went quite well

Just finished a permie interview. Went well, seemed fairly laid back, decent enough salary, reasonable package (I think), they seemed interested.

BUT, they're worried that I might jump ship as soon as something better comes along. The interviewers were all contractors, so knew what it was like and kept asking "why a permie job?"

Couldn't really say "because I'm running out of cash and want something to do with my time...", could I.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Bring on the next one...

3.30 - phone interview for next role. Contract this time, away from home, 2-3 months, decent enough rate, bit more relevant technology-wise.

Need to go and brush up a bit on some of the stuff...
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Just finished a permie interview. Went well, seemed fairly laid back, decent enough salary, reasonable package (I think), they seemed interested.

BUT, they're worried that I might jump ship as soon as something better comes along. The interviewers were all contractors, so knew what it was like and kept asking "why a permie job?"

Couldn't really say "because I'm running out of cash and want something to do with my time...", could I.
                  You could have said that but probably not the best response. What did you say? I've had a couple of interviews where they were concerned that I'd get bored and a cheery "oh I just think of the money" doesn't work either.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    You could have said that but probably not the best response. What did you say? I've had a couple of interviews where they were concerned that I'd get bored and a cheery "oh I just think of the money" doesn't work either.
                    Explained that I don't contract for the money - I contract for the longer holidays, which since this would be near home I wouldn't need to take as much. Explained why I left my two permie jobs - one for salary, one for lack of challenge. Not sure whether that helped or not, since there doesn't seem to be much challenge there

Work on the project is planned and budgeted for another few years, though - by which time I should be out of the country and heading to Canada!
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

40 mins to go.

Comment

Working...
                      X