• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    No - but I am a strong believer in the powere of positive thought, and prayer.

If it makes the person feel better, then it certainly can't do any harm.
    Agreed that a positive attitude will help; after all, negative attitudes are stress-inducing, and we all know that stress is bad for you.

I'm always rather wary of things that aren't susceptible of scientific explanation, but don't like to fall into the trap of dismissing something just because it's not susceptible of scientific explanation; to do so is just to replace faith in (e.g.) religion with faith in science, which isn't scientific

My O Level physics teacher was extremely scientific in attitude, yet he eventually left teaching to train and practice as an acupuncturist. A chronic condition from which he suffered had been relieved by acupuncture, and he was quite happy to accept that, although he had no explanation for how it worked, his own experience demonstrated that it did work. That to me is much more the attitude of a true scientist than the arch-sceptic who dismisses something out of hand on the sole basis that their existing corpus of knowledge doesn't allow them to understand it.

Comment

So everyone repeat after me (especially bear and CM)

"I don't have a hangover"

Comment

"I don't have a hangover"

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          A good example is “The Miracle man” who crashed a plane was told he’d be a vegetable for the rest of his life but ‘decided’ he was going to walk out of the hospital in Christmas day – and did.
          As I said above, Thomas (my nephew) was 12 weeks premature. Brain haemmorage, double hernia, wonky willy, chronic lung disease. Really low chance of survival. Experts said that he's just be a vegetable his whole life.

When he had surgery for his hernias (at 4 months) they said he'd be on oxygen for a few days. Instead, he ripped his breathing tube out himself after a couple of hours and wanted to breathe on his own.

He's 10 now, is autistic and has problems. But he's certainly nowhere near how they said he'd be.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

"I don't have a hangerover"

Comment

Wanna see something really scarey?
              Always.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                "I don't have a hangerover"
                Ah - you fell for the "You've already posted that" rule on CUK!
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Wanna see something really scarey?

morning all btw!
                  Tease!
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I don't have a hangover!!!
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                      I don't have a hangover!!!
                      See it must work then

Comment

Working...
                      X