• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching Wired at 9pm on ITV - episode 3 of 3

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      Thanks NF!

It'll also save 115,000 litres of diesel a year which you know is good for the environment but I'm all about the money.
      I am sure Diver will find a way of burning what you saved - probably in tpdville.....

Comment

Where are you lot?

I'm reading lots of good stuff on blogs I've never read before (the usual thing... you find something good in your feeds, and that links to something good, and then that blog turns out to have loads of other good stuff, and more good links out, and before you realise it you're halfway across the web. I just love this hypertext thing Thank you, TBL for your "internet-based hypermedia initiative for global information sharing" - works for me )

If any of youse can rouse yourselves from your slumbers, try this excellent post about what best to know if you want to get a job at Google - although please note, he puts the caveats first, and they should not be skimmed

For myself, I'm going to go over everything in there - in particular, I actually can't implement two separate O(n*log(n)) sorting algorithms from scratch (although I do know what Big-O means) and I shall be correcting this appalling lack of knowledge tomorrow

Oh, and although he doesn't mention it, there's one thing you should know: trees (not those things outside that make wood for a living, the CompSci kind) are acyclic directed graphs, so you can slot them into the learning-about-graphs bit, which is (IMHO) a win

Comment

Although if you ever do get into a project that involves analysing the growth of those leafy things outside that make wood for a living, do bear in mind that their structure and development can be modelled using a directed acyclic graph - that's why directed acyclic graphs are usually referred to as "trees". Theory imitates life, and all that

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Although if you ever do get into a project that involves analysing the growth of those leafy things outside that make wood for a living, do bear in mind that their structure and development can be modelled using a directed acyclic graph - that's why directed acyclic graphs are usually referred to as "trees". Theory imitates life, and all that
            Of course, the almost infinite malleability of nature means that there are exceptions... it might be sensible to gen up on cyclic directed graphs too

Comment

I notice that the Associate Producer of Babylon 5 was Susan Norkin.
              Last edited by NickFitz; 28 October 2008, 04:27. Reason: Silly filter - it's a lady's name!

Comment

Morning all
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Well I'm on the Bench

Scrap price dropped through the floor yesterday, most companies have stopped buying altogether.

Prices will not start rising now until after Xmas so I've put the Barry job on stop til next year and laid off all the men

I will have to take one of the job offers now, looks like I'll have to work away again
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Where are you lot?

I'm reading lots of good stuff on blogs I've never read before (the usual thing... you find something good in your feeds, and that links to something good, and then that blog turns out to have loads of other good stuff, and more good links out, and before you realise it you're halfway across the web. I just love this hypertext thing Thank you, TBL for your "internet-based hypermedia initiative for global information sharing" - works for me )

If any of youse can rouse yourselves from your slumbers, try this excellent post about what best to know if you want to get a job at Google - although please note, he puts the caveats first, and they should not be skimmed

For myself, I'm going to go over everything in there - in particular, I actually can't implement two separate O(n*log(n)) sorting algorithms from scratch (although I do know what Big-O means) and I shall be correcting this appalling lack of knowledge tomorrow

Oh, and although he doesn't mention it, there's one thing you should know: trees (not those things outside that make wood for a living, the CompSci kind) are acyclic directed graphs, so you can slot them into the learning-about-graphs bit, which is (IMHO) a win
                    At that time I was almost exactly half way through my sleep!

Top techie post though!

I have a maths degree and am fairly sure I have never even heard of Big-O sorting - is this a variant of Black-Scholes?

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                      Morning all
                      Morning Diver

Morning all

Comment

Working...
                      X