• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Chimp - you could sniff out real ale from a mile away

I try to model myself on Harris in Three Men in a Boat:

...Harris would take you by the arm, and say:
    "I know what it is, old man; you've got a chill. Now, you come along with me. I know a place round the corner here, where you can get a drop of the finest Scotch whisky you ever tasted - put you right in less than no time."

Harris always does know a place round the corner where you can get something brilliant in the drinking line. I believe that if you met Harris up in Paradise (supposing such a thing likely), he would immediately greet you with:
    "So glad you've come, old fellow; I've found a nice place round the corner here, where you can get some really first-class nectar."

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      A 16 layer PCB? Huh? How does that work?
      Two outer layers & 14 inner layers.

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
      I did a course in this many moons ago. You can sandwich PCB tracks on intermediate layers.

WHS.

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      But why would you want to? On 2-sided PCB you could just about eliminate any cross-overs. Who go to 4 layers, let alone 16?
      Not these days you can't... if you look at your average PCI card, it'll have 6 layers. Two of those layers will be buried power planes, i.e. Ground and 5V (or 3.3V). It helps keep the EMI down and makes things more compact.

Gets very expensive though...

Originally posted by kali View Post
      Depends on the size and complexity of your circuit - these days 2-layers often isn't enough...
      WSS... especially if the components are surface mount (which most are now)... ball grid arrays are the worst...

You can squeeze more components in. Obviously with all the extra component legs, you need a corresponding diversity of tracks.
      Squeeze being the operative word of course.

It brings in all the joys of vias, tented vias, buried vias etc.

And the boards are a pig to test.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        afternoon all

Comment

You can squeeze more components in. Obviously with all the extra component legs, you need a corresponding diversity of tracks.

TBYJ

got
          a

!!!

Merely for completeness or something

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Afternoon denizens

Just booked my place at another conference - Brighton in September, this time

Last time I went to that one I booked myself a seaview room at the Grand - had a very nice view of the ruins of the West Pier

I may do the same this time. Always nice when chatting with people... "I'm at the TravelLodge," "I'm in the Premier Inn," "I'm kipping on a mate's couch"... "I'm at the Grand."

Contractor stylee and all that
            Do check to make sure there's nothing ticking....

Comment

The trouble with Brighton is that it's full of trendy gits. Luckily, before I went there, Attila the Stockbroker clued me up to an excellent, very down to earth real ale pub, so I mainly resided there, rather than the cocktail bar style places that the conference organisers had felt suitable for attendees
              I thought it was also rampant with gentlemen who are good with colours...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                I thought it was also rampant with gentlemen who are good with colours...
                I believe so - it did occur to me that Attila might have been exercising his unusual sense of humour and sending me to a gay bar

But it turned out he wasn't

Comment

I believe so - it did occur to me that Attila might have been exercising his unusual sense of humour and sending me to a gay bar

But it turned out he wasn't
                  Electric Six - Gay Bar

The video has me in hysterics every time i see it

(sorry probably a bit random)
                  Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
                  "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
                  Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Electric Six - Gay Bar

The video has me in hysterics every time i see it

(sorry probably a bit random)
                    You mean that mashup with Bush and Blair bestowing heartfelt tender glances on each other at the press conference? That's excellent

Comment

Depends on the size and complexity of your circuit - these days 2-layers often isn't enough...
                      "These days"? I'm not convinced circuits have become bigger and more complex. There are more sophisticated single-package devices than there were so fewer discrete components. Is it just because these days circuit designers don't put the time into circuit design?
                      "diversity"? Why is that obvious. I can see you need a greater number of tracks, but why should more layers be needed? I still don't get it.

I thought layers were to prevent cross-over wires. 16 layers suggests that principle has been replaced by "oh bugger that, it takes too long. use all the cross overs you want, we'll just bung another layer on each time if need be."
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X