• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Murder1 View Post
    I've had this back from the agent who handled my CL1 contract with regards to their data protection and retention policy:

Standard stuff, but doesn't really answer the question of whether HMRC can request any or all of the information held by CCS as part of any contract application or whether or not they're effectively one and the same anyway.
    If they can't there wouldn't be any need for the exercise in the first place. This whole nonsense began with the Lib Dem idiot Danny Alexander in the Treasury, remember. Of course it feeds back to HMRC.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Well I recently binned a CL1 contract offer. A combination of the mountain of badly worded paperwork, the thought of being unfairly stitched up for scrutiny by hector, and also because I needed the contract amended even before an IR35 review. The thought of spending £150 on Qdos review products didn't help either. Our pain must be a real boon for them. In the end I just couldn't be arsed with all of the hassle and had another offer in front of me in the private sector.

Comment

Evidence of assurance requested...

Well, I've only been in role for a few weeks but a couple of days ago, the agency formally requested that I complete a 'Working Practices' questionnaire jointly with my Assignment Manager, and get an independent review to confirm IR35 status before submitting everything back to the end-client within 28 days. Nothing to worry about for the few of us that did our homework before accepting the role but I've got to say, I'm truly staggered at the number of people working here who have absolutely no idea what this is all about and are therefore running around like headless chickens worrying what to do...I've merely thanked the agency and client for their enquiry, submitted the requested paperwork today and wished them a good weekend...

Comment

What's the latest?

Originally posted by Murder1 View Post
          So as part of a new role I've been asked to complete the following:

* Candidate Registration Form
          * CV for the past 10 years any gaps over 28 days in your CV history will need to be covered by a personal referee
          * Verified copy of a passport
          * Verified copy of address
          * Onboarding forms inc basic disclosure certificate
          * Tax Assurance Forms
          * Accepted and signed T&C's
          * Copies of the following documents:
          Certificate of Incorporation
          VAT Certificate (if applicable)
          Proof of insurance

...and they wonder why people are deciding to stay in the private sector.
          How are people dealing with all this? I've worked with the public sector for a long time, but the 'process' of having to do all this BEFORE you even see the contract seems ridiculous. Afterall, to answer BETs you need conversations with those you are reporting to (eg working hours) and you need to see what is in the contract (eg MOO).

I suspect neither the contractor, agency nor client really want to be having all those conversations prior to commencement...for example I've seen a role where the client wants a pool of contractors (10) and will allocate them to projects at key times, however they want to recruit all at once for the purpose of ease.

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
            ...to answer BETs you need conversations with those you are reporting to (eg working hours) and you need to see what is in the contract (eg MOO).
            From memory I don't think the BETs have anything in them with regard to working hours or MOO although you do need to know about ROS which would be covered in the contract.

As ever with Public sector, they have a rigid and unfortunately mostly linear process to onboard people. You shouldn't however have any trouble getting a draft contract out of the agent though - mine coughed one up straight away right at the beginning of the process - the only thing they couldn't send me early on was a completed Assignment schedule - that followed later

B

Comment

Originally posted by bracken View Post
              From memory I don't think the BETs have anything in them with regard to working hours or MOO although you do need to know about ROS which would be covered in the contract.

As ever with Public sector, they have a rigid and unfortunately mostly linear process to onboard people. You shouldn't however have any trouble getting a draft contract out of the agent though - mine coughed one up straight away right at the beginning of the process - the only thing they couldn't send me early on was a completed Assignment schedule - that followed later

B
              Sorry, I didn't mean the BETs, I meant the typical working practice Qs that a QDOS or B&C would ask you to complete when you submit a contract for review, so they can check working practices align.

From what I can tell these are only Qs that you could honestly answer after a conversation with the client.

Comment

Article in the torgraph today. Alexander has 'fined' the MOD and NHS for continuing to disregard his fUD about off payroll contractors.

79 contractors had their contracts terminated for not being able to show they were paying the 'right' amount of tax and were engaged in 'avoidance.'
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Strictly not the Public Sector these days (if ever), but Universities are booming.... and they are very open to contractors with a Public Sector background as they tend to have very messy project / governance structures & similar cultures.

Not saying there arent other things to be aware of but no sign of any Capita involvement on my current gig.

Comment

Working for a Government department and just had to supply details of working practices review and a public sector pack from Qdos. Qdos Passed ok.

it was a blanket Tax situation check on ALL contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                      Article in the torgraph today. Alexander has 'fined' the MOD and NHS for continuing to disregard his fUD about off payroll contractors.

79 contractors had their contracts terminated for not being able to show they were paying the 'right' amount of tax and were engaged in 'avoidance.'
                      FMS - I'm about to start looking for a new contract - this looks like the public sector is going to become out of bounds, canning half my market in one fell swoop!
                      Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
                      http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                      X