• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outside IR35 determination, so contract withdrawn/replaced with inside-IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outside IR35 determination, so contract withdrawn/replaced with inside-IR35

I've demonstrated to my client that my current contract will be outside IR35, which they have accepted.

However, they have now told me they will only deal with inside-IR35 contractors going forwards and so will withdraw my contract soon (I think due to nervousness of getting a determination wrong).

Is this a common scenario? Am I right in thinking there's nothing I can do about this?

I guess, if I want to continue working with them, I should ask them to write up a distinctly different contract to what I currently have, that is clearly inside IR35?

Any other advice?

Thanks!

Correct, there isn’t much you can do unless you have considerable leverage with your client and I guess your post indicates that you don’t. Sticking around is a risk to your past status because, let’s face it, the client doesn’t really want anything to change, they simply want to mitigate their own risk. But, yes, if you must stay, you’d want a distinct change in contractual terms and, crucially, in working practices. It’s a bit late in the day, though; the client should’ve worked this out before April 6.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Correct, there isn’t much you can do unless you have considerable leverage with your client and I guess your post indicates that you don’t. Sticking around is a risk to your past status because, let’s face it, the client doesn’t really want anything to change, they simply want to mitigate their own risk. But, yes, if you must stay, you’d want a distinct change in contractual terms and, crucially, in working practices. It’s a bit late in the day, though; the client should’ve worked this out before April 6.
      Not really the client has until they make their first payment for work done after April 6th to make a determination.

And this was one of the scenarios we both expected to appear - clients will decide after work begins that the work required is inside rather than outside IR35.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Not really the client has until they make their first payment for work done after April 6th to make a determination.

And this was one of the scenarios we both expected to appear - clients will decide after work begins that the work required is inside rather than outside IR35.
        Right, we knew it was going to happen, and it's possible that it has happened with the OP - OP would need to clarify - either way, they're in a tough spot now.

Comment

Originally posted by penx View Post
          Is this a common scenario? Am I right in thinking there's nothing I can do about this?
          Yes it is and no you can't
          I guess, if I want to continue working with them, I should ask them to write up a distinctly different contract to what I currently have, that is clearly inside IR35?
          Correct. They should have issues you with an SDS once they did whatever exercise to come to the inside conclusion whcih should include a new contract. It appears your clients doesn't have much of a clue.

I do have to ask why you didn't ask the client for a determination in the run up to April as well but it's too late now.
          Any other advice?
          Leave.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I do have to ask why you didn't ask the client for a determination in the run up to April as well but it's too late now.
            I did have a determination that I was outside (after a bit of back and forth).

But they have since decided they don’t want any contractors who are outside.

Comment

You said 'I've demonstrated to my client that my current contract will be outside IR35, which they have accepted.' which isn't the way. They do the determination based on what they want. You and the client often have differing opinions on D&C and Subs. You might think it's in your contract but if they want to tell you what to do and would really refuse a push comes to shove then that's their call and no amount of demonstrating would help.

Sounds like they didn't know and when they came to look in to it they just said screw it everyone inside. Not uncommon but most clients did this last year or at least Jan/Feb.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Those two decisions are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

There's a good chance that the person who agreed to the outside determination (your immediate contact at the client?) is not the same person who has since decided they don't want to engage with contractors (legal/finance/risk?).

The latter will always win that internal battle.
                Last edited by Paralytic; 30 April 2021, 13:17.

Comment

You said 'I've demonstrated to my client that my current contract will be outside IR35, which they have accepted.' which isn't the way.
                  I think I'm referring to an SDS appeal, though it was perhaps a little more informal.

I should have said "working practices, verbal agreements and contract mean they should classify me as outside IR35" rather than "my current contract will be outside IR35".

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Those two decisions are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

There's a good chance that the person who agreed to the outside determination (your immediate contact at the client?) is not the same person who has since decided they don't want to engage with contractors (legal/finance/risk?).

The latter will always win that internal battle.
                  I think they've just changed their mind, I suspect because they want to keep things simple and a 'everyone has to be inside IR35' keeps things simple for them - which is annoying but I guess I don't have much say in the matter.

Leave.
                  Unfortunately I quite like them, other than this :-)
                  Last edited by penx; 7 May 2021, 17:20.

Comment

Working...
                  X