• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract to Perm With Delayed Start Date

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract to Perm With Delayed Start Date

I’ve been contracting at the same client for 2 years, and I’m leaving today as they have issued me an Inside SDS.

The manager has offered me a permanent role in the team with a delayed start date of 3 months, and a different job title and description (still dev, more senior).

For what it’s worth, I’ve also had my contract reviewed by my accountants who said it is supportive of an Outside determination.

Do you guys think this is good enough to prevent retro taxation, or should I bench myself?

I'd be wary. Just how different is the perm role? Completely different technology stack or same stuff, just a bit more senior?

Your accountants' opinion is likely to be trumped by the client's assessment of your working practises for the past two years. If it were challenged, you already know the client won't support an outside determination.

Comment

It is the same stuff, just a bit more senior.

Agreed, it's a blue chip company who wouldn't support an outside determination, so I'd be in hot water if challenged.

I'm wondering whether the 3 months break, which is way too long to look like a holiday, would be enough to show they are separate engagements.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleDale View Post

Agreed, it's a blue chip company who wouldn't support an outside determination, so I'd be in hot water if challenged.

I'm wondering whether the 3 months break, which is way too long to look like a holiday, would be enough to show they are separate engagements.
        On the face of it they aren't separate engagements. You are leaving so they have a hole to fill and that's with a perm. That said I think three months is more than enough time for a clients requirements to change and roles be created. A lot changes in three months so will be difficult for HMRC to argue the are contract to perm so think you will be fine. As long as they don't ask the client who says yeah, same role, just delayed. Highly unlikely. No one needs to know it's the same role with a delay. It still looks like a gap and a new role.

What will you be doing in the the three months in between?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Are you going to get paid before April the 6th?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PaleDale View Post

So why have you declared your contract as outside if they won't?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

On the face of it they aren't separate engagements. You are leaving so they have a hole to fill and that's with a perm. That said I think three months is more than enough time for a clients requirements to change and roles be created. A lot changes in three months so will be difficult for HMRC to argue the are contract to perm so think you will be fine. As long as they don't ask the client who says yeah, same role, just delayed. Highly unlikely. No one needs to know it's the same role with a delay. It still looks like a gap and a new role.

What will you be doing in the the three months in between?
              That's what I was thinking, thanks for the input.

I'll not be doing any other work in the interim. Just going to spend some time with the family.

Comment

No, I'll receive payments after the 6th April.

HMRC have stated that the rules will only apply for services provided on or after the 6th April.

"
                The new rules will apply to payments made on or after 6 April 2021 only where the services were also provided on or after 6 April 2021. Therefore, if a payment is made on 30 April 2021 and the services were provided from 6 April 2021 onwards, the whole payment would be within the rules.

If the services were all provided prior to 6 April 2021, but the payment was made on or after 6 April 2021, the payment would not be subject to the new rules.
                "

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-status-manual/esm10001a

Edit: Up to date link.
                Last edited by PaleDale; 30 March 2021, 13:24.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

So why have you declared your contract as outside if they won't?
                  Because the contract review I had done supports an outside determination.
                  I disagree with the client's inside determination, and as they have the final say come April, I'm leaving.

Comment

Doesn’t matter as it’s not a public sector client
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X