• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Potential client seems to know very little about IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential client seems to know very little about IR35

I am trying to agree a contract with a company who seem to know very little about IR35.

They are keen for me to do some work for them but I am worried that IR35 will prove to be too much hassle for them and the contract wont happen.

They are going to phone me next week to talk about it but I am not really that clued up on what clients need to do from April either.

It is a fairly small company but has >50 employees and >10M turnover. I expect the contract to be outside IR35.

Is there a template or some sort of form that must be used for an SDS or is an SDS just a letter from the company giving their IR35 determination?

Is there somewhere where clients can get straight forward advice on what they need to do to comply with the new IR35 rules?

How could I make things easier for them? For example, if we inserted an agency between my ltd company and them would that simplify things at all?

I really want to make this contact happen, I want to do the work, they want me to do the work, it will be very frustrating if that can't happen because of IR35.

You need to point them at a professional setup that will help them through the process. They might baulk at the cost but it will help them in the longer term with other contractors in the future.

Ideas of people are QDOS, Brookson or even IR35 Shield, but I've not idea how the last one works.

Bearing in mind it's their risk they need to spend a bit to step up and be ready for any contractor requirements they will need in the future.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm sure someone like QDOS would be able to hold their hand through the process.

Also a nice post here for client managers

IR35 for client managers

How could I make things easier for them? For example, if we inserted an agency between my ltd company and them would that simplify things at all?
      That would either cost them more money, or create a reduction in your rate to pay for the agencies cut.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You need to point them at a professional setup that will help them through the process. They might baulk at the cost but it will help them in the longer term with other contractors in the future.

Ideas of people are QDOS, Brookson or even IR35 Shield, but I've not idea how the last one works.

Bearing in mind it's their risk they need to spend a bit to step up and be ready for any contractor requirements they will need in the future.
        Thanks.

Do you have any idea what sort of cost we're talking about, e.g. hundreds, thousands or 10's of thousands?

Comment

No idea. IR35 shield is 499 quid for a year but dunno what services it offers. You are gonna have to have a ring around and see.

Comment

Why not just go in and see them, run them through CEST to get an outside IR35 determination, then write the contract and agree the working conditions based on that.

Afternoons work, job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuttle View Post
              Hell, no!
              Last edited by openstrike; 6 March 2020, 13:56. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by mondeoman View Post
                Why not just go in and see them, run them through CEST to get an outside IR35 determination, then write the contract and agree the working conditions based on that.

Afternoons work, job done.
                Yes

Drive the process for them, get yourself an outside SDS and whoop whoop

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Yes

Drive the process for them, get yourself an outside SDS and whoop whoop
                  You missed where the OP doesn't know either.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You missed where the OP doesn't know either.
                    Ah yes, you mean
                    They are going to phone me next week to talk about it but I am not really that clued up on what clients need to do from April either.

So then it's easy: he might as well just go through a brolly and continue not learning about his business.

But it is rubbish to see how the government are putting so many hurdles in the way just for a guy to get some work. Especially as OP seems to be direct to the client.

Comment

Working...
                    X