• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 blanket bans - Ruth Cadbury MP in the House of Commons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 blanket bans - Ruth Cadbury MP in the House of Commons

Have you guys seen this? This was before the public sector Ir35 changes were made.

YouTube

Ruth Cadbury MP in the House of Commons Describes exactly what is happening now with the banks.

Many thanks.

I hadn't seen it until now. Very interesting.

Comment

It has been well known for 12 years that HMRC might as well have no rule book. They do what they want, when they want.

If people only care when they are themselves affected, what do you expect?

Comment

She explains how it’s completely wrong when in NHS a temporary worker has no pay if the agency cancels and if they take a day off. So there is no security - yet these workers are taxed as employees. It’s completely wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
          She explains how it’s completely wrong when in NHS a temporary worker has no pay if the agency cancels and if they take a day off. So there is no security - yet these workers are taxed as employees. It’s completely wrong.
          She put it in starker terms. She said it was unlawful. Also this is clearly affecting the NHS in a negative way. You couldn't have picked a better time to roll out the private sector reforms, just as the public sector reforms now have some data based on the laws of unintended consequences.

If the papers latch onto this in any big way this will reflect extremely badly on Mr Javid in particular who weaseled his way out of paying anything more than lip service to his cynical vote grabbing promise to review the planned off payroll rules.

This is the deliberate obstinacy of Whitehall at play. This is not Tory policy. There was nothing in the manifesto. They are being weak, or dare not challenge the mandarins. I don't know why.

Whitehall has absolutely no skin in this game. If the Tories fall, they will just press ahead with their ultra vires policies with a new government.

No, this has to play out. And play out it will. It has ramifications for everyone in the country, just no one realises it yet outside those immediately affected. But reality will bite, accelerated and amplified by the unprecedented turbulence of post Brexit fall out.

Obstinance and hubris always meets its nemesis. This time is no different.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I just don’t understand how they can proceed when it’s unlawful and has such issues. It’s as if no one is listening. I guess they either don’t understand the situation here and/or don’t care.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
              I just don’t understand how they can proceed when it’s unlawful and has such issues. It’s as if no one is listening. I guess they either don’t understand the situation here and/or don’t care.
              A bit of both I think. A 50% win rate is pathetic and wasteful. HMRC certainly don't care.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                She put it in starker terms. She said it was unlawful. Also this is clearly affecting the NHS in a negative way. You couldn't have picked a better time to roll out the private sector reforms, just as the public sector reforms now have some data based on the laws of unintended consequences.

If the papers latch onto this in any big way this will reflect extremely badly on Mr Javid in particular who weaseled his way out of paying anything more than lip service to his cynical vote grabbing promise to review the planned off payroll rules.

This is the deliberate obstinacy of Whitehall at play. This is not Tory policy. There was nothing in the manifesto. They are being weak, or dare not challenge the mandarins. I don't know why.

Whitehall has absolutely no skin in this game. If the Tories fall, they will just press ahead with their ultra vires policies with a new government.

No, this has to play out. And play out it will. It has ramifications for everyone in the country, just no one realises it yet outside those immediately affected. But reality will bite, accelerated and amplified by the unprecedented turbulence of post Brexit fall out.

Obstinance and hubris always meets its nemesis. This time is no different.

I wish more people had your gumption.

This legislation is really the emperors new clothes. I hope there will be more MP's like Ruth Cadbury in the future speaking out about the damage this has done to NHS projects already. This is probably the only potential miracle, maybe of not stopping the legislation, but coming up with some sane solution to allow the UK economy a lean, skilled, and adaptive flexible workforce.

Comment

Originally posted by wiffwaffwaa View Post
                  I wish more people had your gumption.

This legislation is really the emperors new clothes. I hope there will be more MP's like Ruth Cadbury in the future speaking out about the damage this has done to NHS projects already. This is probably the only potential miracle, maybe of not stopping the legislation, but coming up with some sane solution to allow the UK economy a lean, skilled, and adaptive flexible workforce.
                  as one poster has put it, HMRC's tactic is to tax first and deal with the fallout later. The tax law will never be reversed.

Comment

If anyone is thinking damage to the public sector is over, I work for a huge international company that in turn works for the public sector. I'm working on a big public sector project.

All contractors here have been put through the IR35 determination process at the moment, and the CEST tool gave a result of 'inconclusive'. So there's a chance I'll be forced inside (I will leave or demand a huge raise).

No doubt I am not the only person in this position. It's like exodus mark 2 and it's gonna hit every company that provides services to the public sector that uses contractors.

Comment

Working...
                    X