• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35- NHS / employer / employee status

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't go near anyone offering loans or 80%+ retention rates. Doesn't need research, just don't do it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      First, do NOT speak to HMRC directly about the IR35 status of your current or previous contracts. They are emphatically not on your side. If you want to establish the facts about you previous contract - and it’s unbelievable to me that you didn’t do this before now - speak to one of the independent status experts and have your earlier contract and working practices reviewed. There must now be a serious risk that your status was not as declared over the prior 4 years. Get proper legal advice ASAP.
      FFS. Its like a burglar popping into the police station to ask if there going to be any police cars driving around the place tonight.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Never ceases to amaze me that people work and have no idea what is going on. On the plus side, its people like OP who will be easy targets for HMRC.

OP - Do you have IR35 insurance - via IPSE or QDOS maybe? Do you have an accountant even?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie66j View Post
          I was only subject to IR35 on 6/4/17
          No. What happened was that on 6/4/17 liabilitly for IR35 determination shifted from your ltd.co. to the Agency/NHS trust. Who then decided that you were subject to IR35.

Your contract prior to then may or may not have been subject to IR35, but you've been operating it as though it wasn't. If in fact it was subject to IR35 and HMRC find out (and if you ask them, the default answer will be that your contract was subject to IR35, regardless of the facts, which is why you don't ask them), then you'll have to pay four years worth of employers NIC - at least.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            No. What happened was that on 6/4/17 liabilitly for IR35 determination shifted from your ltd.co. to the Agency/NHS trust. Who then decided that you were subject to IR35.

Your contract prior to then may or may not have been subject to IR35, but you've been operating it as though it wasn't. If in fact it was subject to IR35 and HMRC find out (and if you ask them, the default answer will be that your contract was subject to IR35, regardless of the facts, which is why you don't ask them), then you'll have to pay four years worth of employers NIC - at least.
            Very scary indeed. Assuming OP followed the low salary/dividend model for the last 4 years then the "deemed" tax would indeed be MASSIVE. Plus fines. Losing house/bankrupt sort of totals....

OP - Don't you watch the news or anything?

Comment

Exactly who all this was aimed At. HMRC will consider this a win.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Exactly who all this was aimed At. HMRC will consider this a win.
                They can't lose IMHO. How on earth can you argue the case for being Outside IR35 when the client is declaring you Inside IR35 on April 2017 for the same role. Its like falling off a log for HMRC - they have the client telling them this role was INSIDE IR35 all along.

The amount of deemed tax/NI etc is going to be massive... Sure I worked it out before for me (before I sensibly bailed from a potentially Inside IR35 BEFORE April) because there was an insurance policy you could get (nuts for orgs to offer them IMHO but thats their problem not mine). It worked out, and this was only two years that the liability was over £30K without adding fines... Thats just two years.

Imagine if the OP has professional representation (e.g. IPSE, QDOS)? I doubt it but imagine being a lawyer and this one landing on your desk. It'd be like trying to get Fred West off a murder charge!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  They can't lose IMHO.
                  They can. Whether or not the client has made an assessment (e.g. with a discredited tool), the facts of the case will still be heard, and history shows that very few contracts are deemed inside. That said, you're right that it's a serious impediment, particularly when the contractor has no evidence of prior due diligence (as seems to be the case here), and many will just fold in the absence of proper legal advice (assuming they can pay). The best the OP can do here is to try and put in place that due diligence ASAP (for the old contract), and hope that it isn't a negative outcome! If it is, they're fecked.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    They can't lose IMHO. How on earth can you argue the case for being Outside IR35 when the client is declaring you Inside IR35 on April 2017 for the same role. Its like falling off a log for HMRC - they have the client telling them this role was INSIDE IR35 all along.
                    JLJ shows that you can be both for the same role.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      JLJ shows that you can be both for the same role.
                      He wasn't both at the same time.

He started outside then ended up inside during the time he was at the client company.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X