• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How will this work in practice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So cool to post nothing of value, well done friend. No wonder your post count is so high if you pipe up just to try and insult folks who don't have things as worked out as you.

Comment

Originally posted by breaktwister View Post
      So cool to post nothing of value, well done friend. No wonder your post count is so high if you pipe up just to try and insult folks who don't have things as worked out as you.
      if you read his posts most are of no substance at all, just digs at people. I ignore his posts completely

Comment

And your posts are helping how?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex View Post
          if you read his posts most are of no substance at all, just digs at people. I ignore his posts completely
          That would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just a thought, but how will a contractor know that the monies (tax and NI) deducted are actually going to HMRC - and been recorded correctly?

And yes, I'm aware of RTI but how would you definitely know without waiting on the end-of-year P60 - oh, presumably it is a P60, or something else?

Something else, will the contractor get an actual payslip?

Comment

Originally posted by b r View Post
              Just a thought, but how will a contractor know that the monies (tax and NI) deducted are actually going to HMRC - and been recorded correctly?

And yes, I'm aware of RTI but how would you definitely know without waiting on the end-of-year P60 - oh, presumably it is a P60, or something else?

All very good questions to which the answer is....

...nobody has a clue. You'd think that the agencies would be able to tell their contractors this, wouldn't you?

The only way to be sure of the above would be to join a legitimate umbrella- they've always worked like that.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

But what if the contract is directly with the public sector organisation (then their payroll would be processing it)?

Comment

Do you not need a National Insurance number to pay NIC? How can a business pay NIC and Personal Income tax via PAYE as it it were an individual? The whole thing is bonkers. Also, contract law in the UK has been build up over hundreds of years and these rules fly in the face of a lot of it. This should be an easy win in court for a good lawyer. HMRC simply don't have the powers to regulate how businesses interact with each other in this way.

Yes they do. HMRC are part of the government. The government controls parliament. Legally there is nothing that parliament can not do.
                  If they lose a legal challenge they can change the law and make it retrospective if they like. You can't beat these guys, but if you're fleet of foot you can stay a step ahead of them.

Comment

But what if the contract is directly with the public sector organisation (then their payroll would be processing it)?
                    I'm sure I answered that somewhere very recently. Basically the tax is passed on to HMRC by whoever is paying the worker. If you're direct, then it will be the client. How they do it is their problem.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

In theory you could take control of "fee payer" responsibilities under the regs. Write to the fee payer to be saying the "worker" has left the company and has joined a new company has been subcontracted and services will continue as normal. Assumes an unfettered right to substitute/subcontract and will require a bit more paperwork

Comment

Working...
                      X