• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE webinar: What does a post IR35 reform CV look like? : Mon, May 10, 2021 7:15 PM - 8:15 PM BST More details here.

IR35 post April 2020: Choosing a legitimate Umbrella

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by midlandlass View Post
    The brolly will have to net you National Minimum Wage over that fill your boots

    As Northern Lad said, you can pay more that £40k in via the brolly, but they will claw back the tax over that through self-assessment probably or your tax code!
    So, if a contract paid the equivalent of 80K/year I could pay 40K into the brolly pension and at set the salary at 40K to avoid Higher Rate Tax?

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
      So, if a contract paid the equivalent of 80K/year I could pay 40K into the brolly pension and at set the salary at 40K to avoid Higher Rate Tax?
      Yes but not quite. You can't set the salary. You are PAYE. You can move the max limit in to the pension so it isn't taxed yes but the rest will be salary. Tax will dictate what you get, not you. I think that's what you meant though?

      There will be other deductions outnofnyour take home like holiday pay as well.

      I'm sure midlandslass will send you an accurate breakdown if you need one.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Yes but not quite. You can't set the salary. You are PAYE. You can move the max limit in to the pension so it isn't taxed yes but the rest will be salary. Tax will dictate what you get, not you. I think that's what you meant though?

        There will be other deductions outnofnyour take home like holiday pay as well.

        I'm sure midlandslass will send you an accurate breakdown if you need one.
        Thanks. Right so the Brolly makes a 'company pension contribution' of 40K and then I pay what's leftover (40K) as PAYE salary. So the only difference in that sense from my normal Ltd is that I pay PAYE on 40K instead of low PAYE + divs.

        Comment


          #34
          Not really. The rather pedantic point I was making is that YOU do nothing. You are employed now. You don't have a say in the process anymore. You chose you pension amount. The rest goes through the system and ends up in your pocket. It's not your job anymore.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

          Comment


            #35
            Will the client expect to pay into Umbrella if they find a contractor is inside IR35, or would it be possible to continue using a Limited Company but not take anything out as dividends, everything goes through PAYE (except pension contributions) or do I have to use an Umbrella?

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by Superfly View Post
              Will the client expect to pay into Umbrella if they find a contractor is inside IR35, or would it be possible to continue using a Limited Company but not take anything out as dividends, everything goes through PAYE (except pension contributions) or do I have to use an Umbrella?
              It's dependent on the end client, but my guess is most won't want to make the deductions in order to pay the Ltd company so will request an umbrella.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
                It's dependent on the end client, but my guess is most won't want to make the deductions in order to pay the Ltd company so will request an umbrella.
                No, I mean the end client doesn't make the deduction, I receive gross and my current accountant would make the relevant Income Tax/NI deductions (I think he would do this for a higher monthly fee than what I am paying right now).

                As long as the end client has determined me inside, that would cover their backs if HMRC come calling. It would be up to me to decide how I structure the payment as long as I pay all the required PAYE tax. Would this be okay?

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by Superfly View Post
                  No, I mean the end client doesn't make the deduction, I receive gross and my current accountant would make the relevant Income Tax/NI deductions (I think he would do this for a higher monthly fee than what I am paying right now).
                  No can do, I'm afraid. If determined inside the net figure must be paid to the Ltd company with the agency or end client making the deductions

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Fact check.

                    If I have a new contract offer to start post April 2020 for which I will use an umbrella company, the Client does not have to make any determination? My company are not using PSCs at all going forward.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by Moomin View Post
                      Fact check.

                      If I have a new contract offer to start post April 2020 for which I will use an umbrella company, the Client does not have to make any determination? My company are not using PSCs at all going forward.
                      Yep, no determination required as you will be being paid via PAYE and HMRC are getting their Employer NI payments (which is what they care about).
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X