• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    If your objections come to naught, as you suggest, then you will be facing a bill for taxes you almost certainly don't owe and won't be able to recover for another year or so. It also doesn't send a message to HMG that their policies are going to decimate PS's access to the flexible skilled workforce they need to survive.
    You may be right.

Except about the message to HMG. They don't care. Politically driven cuts have decimated PS, and a politically driven anti-avoidance measure that decimates it more isn't high on their priority list IMO.

They're too busy saving the party.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      If your working practises actually class you genuinely as outside, how is leaving early going to mitigate against the risk. You may well be found inside by a risk averse civil servant, who doesn't know your practises, and that may result in HMRC coming after you even if you left before April.

Surely staying, and objecting, and leaving if your objections come to nought genuinely gives you a case? This way you have some evidence, and perhaps even your client representative providing some evidence of your genuine outsideness.
      If you have signed working practices that you are outside and have a certificate from Qdos and had a contract review and you leave before April, I think you should be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex View Post
        If you have signed working practices that you are outside and have a certificate from Qdos and had a contract review and you leave before April, I think you should be fine
        Grabs popcorn, and waits for the replies to this one.

Comment

You will be out of a job though, and in a crowded market, probably with lots of PS experience to sell....
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You will be out of a job though, and in a crowded market, probably with lots of PS experience to sell....
            Which is why I've been suggesting to people to get out asap since June - notes that some people on here have followed that advice and I'm implementing it in 8 days time.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

absolutely possible.

But I can then negotiate a new public/private sector contract which is un related to my original Outside IR35 contract. Therefore minimising my risk as stated in original post.

Comment

absolutely possible.

But I can then negotiate a new public/private sector contract which is un related to my original Outside IR35 contract. Therefore minimising my risk as stated in original post.
                You aren't going to be able negotiate your PS role to escape this if they just want a bum on seat though.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You aren't going to be able negotiate your PS role to escape this if they just want a bum on seat though.
                  totally agree. The 'new' PS role may or may not be deemed in by way of the role. It will then be my choice whether I decide to take the role and pay the additional taxes. What I don't want to is to roll over in my current contract into the new world.

Comment

absolutely possible.

Sorry, re-read that properly. You can, but will deffo be caught with no expenses post April regardless. IT's your choice if that makes the new gig viable of course.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      True, but I would very much want a big bit of blue sea between any public sector contract taken from April and he one before then
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X