• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly

Comment

My personal situation is:

MyCo -> Agency -> Consultancy A (Private Sector) -> Intermediary Consultancy B (Private Sector) -> Ministry

I'd like to think I'm on the safer edge of the scale, 'Consultancy A's' site and don't even have contact with anyone in the Ministry, but to my knowledge no one has said where the chain of payments 'breaks'.

Consultancy A are pretty desperate to keep my (reasonably rare) skills, but I'm equally desperate not to be a test case.

I'm not 100% whether I'll leave or not. Both the agency and consultancy A are being pretty accommodating and understanding.

Maybe I should just switch to a contract which says I'll provide a deliverable and have done with it.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        And now they will likely be paying around £1250.

You couldn't make it up
        So CG get 1250- 400 a day for placing a contractor on site. Nice little earner. So the tax take might well go up, but nowhere near as the overall costs
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
          So CG get 1250- 400 a day for placing a contractor on site. Nice little earner. So the tax take might well go up, but nowhere near as the overall costs
          That's how private sector businesses work: sales price > cost price.
          And yes spot on with the cost to the PS summary. Like we've said before the Government operates in a myriad of silos, and that will never change. As long as Hammond has his vote wins ticked he's happy for the few years he's in that job.

Comment

Penny has dropped this week in my patch of London. IR35 chats going on everywhere. The number one question is how they can still work with the NHS and avoid the retro threat.

I'm still peddling the view that they should join me in leaving current gig, find a new gig with new ps client and new role that's been put through the tool and a new contract that says liability for wrong determination is not ours (if this exists). Personally I would accept inside IR35 new role somewhere else until I decide longer term plans. Just want a new ps client to mitigate the retro stuff.

Agencies calling me and they are clueless - offering roles and going silent when I mention IR35.

Comment

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              My personal situation is:

MyCo -> Agency -> Consultancy A (Private Sector) -> Intermediary Consultancy B (Private Sector) -> Ministry

I'd like to think I'm on the safer edge of the scale, 'Consultancy A's' site and don't even have contact with anyone in the Ministry, but to my knowledge no one has said where the chain of payments 'breaks'.

Consultancy A are pretty desperate to keep my (reasonably rare) skills, but I'm equally desperate not to be a test case.

I'm not 100% whether I'll leave or not. Both the agency and consultancy A are being pretty accommodating and understanding.

Maybe I should just switch to a contract which says I'll provide a deliverable and have done with it.
              <deleted, mis read post!>
              Last edited by seeourbee; 9 February 2017, 13:47.

Comment

We are seeing a number of clients be receptive to genuine outside determinations and confirming appropriate working practices. My fear was that there would be some blanket decisions, but everyone seems remarkably engaged right now.
                https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

... and all this boils down to a tool that nobody has actually used for a determination yet.

Comment

... more the person who's hands the tool is in really. The uninformed.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                      We are seeing a number of clients be receptive to genuine outside determinations and confirming appropriate working practices. My fear was that there would be some blanket decisions, but everyone seems remarkably engaged right now.
                      There are significant islands of disengagement, and more blankets than Ikea.

Comment

Working...
                      X