• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Then there's the Indian factor - they'll potentially rather take cheap Wipro Indians etc rather than lower level contractors who would be inside IR35 as they can bin them off at a moment's notice anyway.
    Yes, if Contractor's take a principled stand and leave the Public Sector, the resourcing gap could potential be filled by permanent offshore resource from India and similar or brought in on work VISAs.

I work in the Construction Sector which is more resistant to offshoring (aside from perhaps some elements of CAD and repetitive design work) given the nature of the physical site based work required. Client tried to plug resource gaps with Engineers from India and it was a disaster with Visa's and the like. Construction is generally under resourced - long times on the bench are fairly uncommon for the industry given the availability of work.

Comment

Private.. when ?

Any intelligent guess how long will it be before it may get implemented in private sector ?

I hope it is not implemented so soon like next financial year. In that case not worth a lot of hassle for PS contractors dumping PS contracts and moving into private sector that may or may not turn out to be ideal etc...

Comment

Originally posted by puzzler View Post
        Any intelligent guess how long will it be before it may get implemented in private sector ?

I hope it is not implemented so soon like next financial year. In that case not worth a lot of hassle for PS contractors dumping PS contracts and moving into private sector that may or may not turn out to be ideal etc...
        Forum poster Eek has been saying April 2019. Not sure if that is just an educated guess based on timescales for assessing roll-out in the Public sector and the drafting of new legislation in readiness for the start of a new tax-year, or some of the insider information he purports to hold based on his contacts in HMRC up in Newcastle. He might be along in a minute to clarify.....

Don't be fooled - the end is nigh.

I have shifted my tax planning to a less cautions approach to get as much money out of the LTD before I get forced back to PAYE. Aiming to get my financial affairs in order ready for April 2019 so I can shoulder having maybe 30% of my current income.

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
          And you are wrong in this case because:

The legislation is intentionally misleading and confusing and have us running around with assumptions like headless chickens. So this example means exactly what your bold text says.
          I don't think I am wrong. The Public Sector Body would first make the determination, effectively is this a genuine outsourced arms length consultancy project where they are buying in deliverables, or effectively a 'consultancy' running bodies?

I'll write a full response later, currently rebranding our agency as a consultancy ;-)
          Last edited by Andy Hallett; 1 February 2017, 11:28.
          https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by puzzler View Post

April 2019 is my guess.
            https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
              April 2019 is my guess.
              Save us please Andy......

I don't want my £650/day to become £65k a year

Comment

Originally posted by MoroccanMole View Post
                Save us please Andy......

I don't want my £650/day to become £65k a year
                I think they are going to have a completely different battle with the Private Sector and the clients are going to be a lot more flexible with rates and engagement methods to get what everyone wants. They are out to make money, not follow policy so will be more likely to change tack to keep that focus. I'm not overly fussed about that just at this moment but still keeping an eye on how we can prove the PS option is failing so rollout to Private won't work..
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                  April 2019 is my guess.
                  A poor guess, IMO. That would be just before the next election. 2021 would be nearer the mark.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    A poor guess, IMO. That would be just before the next election. 2021 would be nearer the mark.
                    This isn't a mainstream issue and, insofar as the mainstream media is interested, the Fail etc would be firmly behind anything that sounded like a crackdown on PSCs. April 2019 is a decent guess.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroccanMole View Post
                      Yes, if Contractor's take a principled stand and
                      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Working...
                      X