• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Consultative Document - marketed tax avoidance schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But I'm amused by this bit:
    There is a deep concern that some HRPs would wear ‘naming and shaming’ as a badge of honour, or worse as approval by HMRC that they provide schemes that work, providing a valuable marketing tool for the unscrupulous.
    Just as they do with 'QC Approved' currently.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Where does it say that in the document? I can't find any reference to VAT in the context you described.
      5.7 We are aware that there are concerns that DOTAS in respect of VAT has not
      worked as well as in areas of direct tax. That aside, there is an argument that
      the proposals should cover VAT and other EU taxes (eg customs duty) but
      only where it is compatible with the principles of EU law eg disclosing the
      names of people who advised on a number of schemes held to be abuses.
      Note CIOT are suggesting that VAT avoidance schemes should be covered within the rules, but the original draft law doesn't mention it....

And now I'll go back to laughing from the sidelines....
      Last edited by eek; 10 February 2014, 16:05.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Note CIOT are suggesting that VAT avoidance schemes should be covered within the rules, but the original draft law doesn't mention it....

And now I'll go back to laughing from the sidelines....
        Oh, ta. I stopped reading that line at the point I'd got to DOTAS..
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Black Friday Proposals – A Call to Arms!

Black Friday Proposals
          Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 12 February 2014, 09:34.

Comment

HMRC plans summer raid on pockets of tax scheme users

HMRC plans summer raid on pockets of tax scheme users | Let

Comment

More measured comment

WGEAdvisory | Just another WordPress site

"Should we care about the “morally repugnant” DOTAS and GAAR scheme providers and those who partake in such schemes? After all, these people are the same as benefit cheats, right?"

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                I've wrote to my MP (Conservative) as regards this Bill in late January.

I've yet to receive a reply.

I'd be surprised if most of these muppets knew or even cared what was in this Bill.

They may get a surprise when it's used against them I suppose.

Comment

What has happened to Britain?

When you look at the Finance Act 2014 proposals and undersand their significance, then you begin to understand how Britain has lost its way concerning the basic human rights of its citizens.

To presume you have committed an offence, then demanded to pay up or else by using case law that is decided by HMRC...its a very sad state of affairs indeed.

Lets not forget that without IR35 then this whole debacle wouldnt have come about. Many were recommended into this arrangements by accountants who advised people it was the best alternative in avoiding the stress of IR35. Remember many 5-10yrs ago were seriously stressed about it.

Now jump forward, the government wants to take to task people who are easily identified, who thought they were in arrangements that were up front with HMRC, but now HMRC want to change the game, move the goal posts because they couldnt resolve these arrangements years ago, and let them run on...

It stinks, it really is a stitch up that they are trying to undertake. Let the big companies like Starbucks, Amazon etc go about their business as usual, they have huge legal teams and lots of money, but your average freelancer is easy pickings...its a case of target a section in society as scum bags, tax avoiders who are unworthy of any rights of appeal and justice, they are the filthy dirty tax dodgers and we aim to get them is the mantra of HMRC.

Dont HMRC understand the consequences of what they will do?

They will ruin families and break many up, push people to the very edge...
                  http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
                    When you look at the Finance Act 2014 proposals and undersand their significance, then you begin to understand how Britain has lost its way concerning the basic human rights of its citizens.

To presume you have committed an offence, then demanded to pay up or else by using case law that is decided by HMRC...its a very sad state of affairs indeed.

Lets not forget that without IR35 then this whole debacle wouldnt have come about. Many were recommended into this arrangements by accountants who advised people it was the best alternative in avoiding the stress of IR35. Remember many 5-10yrs ago were seriously stressed about it.

Now jump forward, the government wants to take to task people who are easily identified, who thought they were in arrangements that were up front with HMRC, but now HMRC want to change the game, move the goal posts because they couldnt resolve these arrangements years ago, and let them run on...

It stinks, it really is a stitch up that they are trying to undertake. Let the big companies like Starbucks, Amazon etc go about their business as usual, they have huge legal teams and lots of money, but your average freelancer is easy pickings...its a case of target a section in society as scum bags, tax avoiders who are unworthy of any rights of appeal and justice, they are the filthy dirty tax dodgers and we aim to get them is the mantra of HMRC.

Dont HMRC understand the consequences of what they will do?

They will ruin families and break many up, push people to the very edge...
                    I couldn't agree more. I just hope that people on this forum write to their MPs via writetothem.com and let them know what some of their constituents think about this.

Comment

Originally posted by vern19 View Post
                      I couldn't agree more. I just hope that people on this forum write to their MPs via writetothem.com and let them know what some of their constituents think about this.
                      My MP is useless (but most of them are!) but I would be more than happy to write to him. Without causing an issue for myself worse that it already is though, what is the best thing to say?

Comment

Working...
                      X