• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Consultative Document - marketed tax avoidance schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varunksingh View Post
    Court can be a FTT even when FTT rulings are not Binding.
    AND
    HMRC word will be last and no appeal possible until Court proves HMRC wrong
    A 'final judicial ruling' as defined in the draft legislation:

a. a ruling of the Supreme Court
    b. a ruling of any other court or tribunal in circumstances where:
    i. no appeal may be made against the ruling
    ii. if an appeal may be made against the ruling with permission the time limit for applications has expired and either no application has been made or permission has been refused
    iii. if such permission to appeal against the ruling has been granted or is not required, no appeal has been made within the time limit for appeals
    iv. if an appeal was made, it was abandoned or otherwise disposed of before it was determined by the court or tribunal to which it is addressed
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

http://www.accountancyage.com/aa/opi...-not-justified

Seems like it not just me but others also asking "Where would such an approach end" and wider implications of such powers with HMRC. People will shoot me down again but because one contract for eg of Linux Technical support Engg with a bank was found under IR35, HMRC CAN decide other Technical support Engg contracts are also under IR35.

And above all this being against the natural justice.

Comment

Seems like it not just me but others also asking "Where would such an approach end" and wider implications of such powers with HMRC. People will shoot me down again but because one contract for eg of Linux Technical support Engg with a bank was found under IR35, HMRC CAN decide other Technical support Engg contracts are also under IR35.

I like the idea of users paying upfront when they join a DOTAS scheme - that will put an end to most schemes, which is what we all want. But the power to slap a 90 day payment on anyone without doing any due diligence other than DOTAS number or an HMRC view that its similar to another case is rediculous.
        Last edited by creativity; 7 February 2014, 14:52. Reason: Spelling

Comment

For anyone following the thread this link puts things pretty succinctly:

Comment

Obviously Varun beat me to it...

Comment

Originally posted by creativity View Post
              I like the idea of users paying upfront when they join a DOTAS scheme - that will put an end to most schemes, which is what we all want. But the power to slap a 90 day payment on anyone without doing any due diligence other than DOTAS number or an HMRC view that its similar to another case is rediculous.
              Agree with u 100% but this shouldn't be done retrospectively.

Comment

People will shoot me down again but because one contract for eg of Linux Technical support Engg with a bank was found under IR35, HMRC CAN decide other Technical support Engg contracts are also under IR35.

If the unfavourable contracts and working practices (him being a disguised employee) were all the same without change then the outcome is no surprise. Also if he tried to defend the case himself he would be onto a loser.

That is IR35 legislation, it has nothing to do with marketed tax avoidance schemes - this thread refers to the consultative document referring to Section 9a (marketed tax avoidance schemes).

It does not affect Ltds because Section 9a relates to sole traders and Individuals see https://www.pcg.org.uk/tax-investigation-faq
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  If the unfavourable contracts and working practices (him being a disguised employee) were all the same without change then the outcome is no surprise. Also if he tried to defend the case himself he would be onto a loser.

That is IR35 legislation, it has nothing to do with marketed tax avoidance schemes - this thread refers to the consultative document referring to Section 9a (marketed tax avoidance schemes).

It does not affect Ltds because Section 9a relates to sole traders and Individuals see https://www.pcg.org.uk/tax-investigation-faq
                  You have probably forgotten more on these subjects than I will ever know (or want to know).

However, the idea that Government agencies are given wide ranging powers that they then do NOT abuse is naive in the extreme.

All just my humble opinion of course.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
                    You have probably forgotten more on these subjects than I will ever know (or want to know).

However, the idea that Government agencies are given wide ranging powers that they then do NOT abuse is naive in the extreme.

All just my humble opinion of course.
                    You are quite welcome to your opinion.

However do not confuse opinion and speculation with facts.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      You are quite welcome to your opinion.

However do not confuse opinion and speculation with facts.
                      It is a fact that Government departments can enter your house, put a bag over your head and lock you up for years without telling you what you are accused of or who your accuser is.

If 'they' can do that 'they' can easily drain your bank account of a few tens of thousands of pounds with not a single thought if given the power and inclination.

Boiling a frog...........
                      Last edited by ScottW; 7 February 2014, 18:03.

Comment

Working...
                      X