• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Consultative Document - marketed tax avoidance schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDandy View Post
    It is another thing but I am sure from your own experience it's a real prospect. It needs more than a lot of Tories to kill this bill off so let's hope the experience of BN66 will be sufficient to make them think long and hard before supporting this. I won't be holding my breath though!
    You are right to be sceptical/cynical. The Government usually gets what it wants.

And, as you can tell from the tone of this on the Government website, they want it !

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...x-owed-upfront

Comment

Reading on further - penalties will also be imposed if you fail to comply with a failure notice within 90 days:

12 (1) to the extent that the denied advantage is a deferral of tax (as with the EBT loan schemes) the value of that advantage is:

(a) 25% of the amount of the deferred tax for each year of the deferral or
      (b) a percentage of the amount of deferred tax for each separate period of deferral of less than a year, equating to 25% per year of, if less, 100% of the amount of the deferred tax

This penalty can be reduced if the tax payer is seen to cooperate with HMRC. The penalty itself must be paid within 30 days of received the notice; similarly any appeal must be made within 30 days.

Further, if accelerated payments are unpaid at the end of the payment period HMRC will impose a penalty of 5% of the amount, further penalties of 5% will be applied after 5 months and then again after 11 months.
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        Reading on further - penalties will also be imposed if you fail to comply with a failure notice within 90 days:

12 (1) to the extent that the denied advantage is a deferral of tax (as with the EBT loan schemes) the value of that advantage is:

(a) 25% of the amount of the deferred tax for each year of the deferral or
        (b) a percentage of the amount of deferred tax for each separate period of deferral of less than a year, equating to 25% per year of, if less, 100% of the amount of the deferred tax

This penalty can be reduced if the tax payer is seen to co-operate with HMRC. The penalty itself must be paid within 30 days of received the notice; similarly any appeal must be made within 30 days.

Further, if accelerated payments are unpaid at the end of the payment period HMRC will impose a penalty of 5% of the amount, further penalties of 5% will be applied after 5 months and then again after 11 months.
        At some point, very quickly for many, the math is academic, if one cannot pay then 10%, 1000%, the percentages are irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          And, as you can tell from the tone of this on the Government website, they want it !

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...x-owed-upfront
          For me, this section from the website article goes to the nub of why people are furious:

"Currently, taxpayers must disclose that they are using an avoidance scheme. In doing so they accept that HMRC may challenge the scheme. These proposals to seek upfront payment will only apply where the scheme hits avoidance hallmarks. It is effectively an extension of the terms and conditions taxpayers may have to accept when deciding to use an avoidance scheme."

That would be fine if the taxpayers were able to accept those terms and conditions before entering the scheme, but to apply those terms and conditions up to 10 years after the event (in the case of DOTAS) is breathtaking in its arrogance and disdain for the rule of common law. What happened to the principle of certainty when making tax decisions? For this reason alone, the proposals cannot be allowed to pass into law.
          "No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Ritchie v CIR CS 1929 14 TC 754, Lord Clyde.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDandy View Post
            It is another thing but I am sure from your own experience it's a real prospect. It needs more than a lot of Tories to kill this bill off so let's hope the experience of BN66 will be sufficient to make them think long and hard before supporting this. I won't be holding my breath though!
            The really issue here is how many MPs really want to answer very awkward questions regarding supporting tax dodgers at the next election....

While that may not be how people affected by this see themselves, that is the attack others will use. MPs without very solid majorities or choosing to retire are going to find voting against the government very very hard.....

And before anyone objects I'm not saying its fair (it ain't) what I'm saying is that the soundbites that people will hear are ones that make fighting the rules very difficult.

On a separate question do HMRC pursue fines down to the point of bankruptcy because those fines are scarily large....
            Last edited by eek; 31 January 2014, 14:22.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              The really issue here is how many MPs really want to answer very awkward questions regarding supporting tax dodgers at the next election....

While that may not be how people affected by this see themselves, that is the attack others will use. MPs without very solid majorities or choosing to retire are going to find voting against the government very very hard.....

And before anyone objects I'm not saying its fair (it ain't) what I'm saying is that the soundbites that people will hear are ones that make fighting the rules very difficult.

On a separate question do HMRC pursue fines down to the point of bankruptcy because those fines are scarily large....
              Yes. Tax debt, bankruptcy and Special Relief « TaxAid

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

The are some 'consequential amendments' :

Paragraph 35 provides that, whilst HMRC will normally repay any disputed tax it has received if the taxpayer is successful in litigation at any stage, they will not be obliged to do so if there is a reason to think that the revenue may be at risk and the matter is being appealed further.

So basically, even if you win you lose

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

"No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Ritchie v CIR CS 1929 14 TC 754, Lord Clyde.
                  This may have been true once but not anymore.

Comment

Having read that ouch. very few get outs there

The are some 'consequential amendments' :

Paragraph 35 provides that, whilst HMRC will normally repay any disputed tax it has received if the taxpayer is successful in litigation at any stage, they will not be obliged to do so if there is a reason to think that the revenue may be at risk and the matter is being appealed further.

So basically, even if you win you lose
                    Surely its the case that until any claim is decided upon by the upper tax tribunal they won't refund the money. So the implied threat is that everything will be appealed to the upper tribunal which is a hell of a delaying tactic...
                    Last edited by eek; 31 January 2014, 15:07.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      This may have been true once but not anymore.
                      +1. Hector is using the public's current dislike of / the publicity around big corporate tax avoiders to railroad through fundamental changes. They seem to have got their timing intentionally perfect....

Comment

Working...
                      X