• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through SANZAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tax is taxing View Post
    I see both Sanzar and Edge scheme numbers......
    So - I should expect an APN then?

I have originally appealed - and had that upheld - but where can I find the best resource to calculate how much I should actually 'owe' - as the numbers presented seemed a little inflated?

Should I PM and join the private group?

Comment

Originally posted by MrO666 View Post
      Some people are going to be in serious trouble when these start hitting the doormat.

From what I hear HMRC are saying they're going to be issuing these APN's over 22 months, so I guess it depends if you're lucky or unlucky in the pecking order.
      I have the original claims they made on 'discovery' - but these looked a little high - do you have any links to the best place for me to calculate what I think I should owe - would rather get the ball rolling now. At least then I can budget for 1-22 months time..

Comment

Contractor helpdesk

Some people are going to be in serious trouble when these start hitting the doormat.

From what I hear HMRC are saying they're going to be issuing these APN's over 22 months, so I guess it depends if you're lucky or unlucky in the pecking order.
        Has any body try to contact CH today?

Any recent updates which I may have missed with regards to this?

Comment

I can't see CH ever responding to anything ever again (not as thought they did much in the first place). I would also assume that every single tax solution based in the Isle of Man will be liquidated before the end of the year, and the business model 100% gone.

Seeing as these providers now legally have to advise any clients that they may get hit with an upfront tax bill, all purpose of using these schemes will instantly vanish later this week when the bill is signed.

As such, I doubt that anyone will ever hear from CH ever again.....oh, and if you're with a scheme still, make damn sure you get all of your money out and quick smart......they won't be around for very long.

Comment

I can't see CH ever responding to anything ever again (not as thought they did much in the first place). I would also assume that every single tax solution based in the Isle of Man will be liquidated before the end of the year, and the business model 100% gone.

Seeing as these providers now legally have to advise any clients that they may get hit with an upfront tax bill, all purpose of using these schemes will instantly vanish later this week when the bill is signed.

As such, I doubt that anyone will ever hear from CH ever again.....oh, and if you're with a scheme still, make damn sure you get all of your money out and quick smart......they won't be around for very long.
            Well, if they're true to their word then CM will be speaking to HMRC after the bill gets assent.
            We'll most likely get an APN, although as most of us are currently under investigation, HMRC will, at some point, have to progress that to an FTT.

Comment

Originally posted by muzchap View Post
              I have the original claims they made on 'discovery' - but these looked a little high - do you have any links to the best place for me to calculate what I think I should owe - would rather get the ball rolling now. At least then I can budget for 1-22 months time..
              You should have your loan statements from Sanzar, that will give you the exact figures you need to base your calculations on.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
                Well, if they're true to their word then CM will be speaking to HMRC after the bill gets assent.
                We'll most likely get an APN, although as most of us are currently under investigation, HMRC will, at some point, have to progress that to an FTT.
                Don't confuse a Discovery Assessment with actively being under investigation.

As somebody else has already posted, what possible reason would HMRC have to progress these cases once they've already got your money. I suspect that you'll see HMRC do absolutely zero until at some point in a few years, somebody with enough money decides enough is enough and forces HMRC to court. Then and only then will you start to see HMRC acknowledge that they can't keep the money without ever resolving the case. For anyone thinking they will pay the APN and this will be settled in a year or so...........think again.

We now have a government that seems very unconcerned about the general basis of law (innocent until proven guilty). You can bet your arse that if companies like Amazon and Goldman were to get demands for their quite clear usage of 'tax avoidance', then there's no way they would pay them, but they have the money to battle HMRC......and lets be honest, HMRC are not going to be keen to go toe to toe with the best tax lawyers on earth.

Comment

HMRC are slow at progressing cases at the best of times.

Once they've collected the tax via APN they'll be on a real go slow.

Comment

There's a big difference between being under enquiry and having an open appeal to a discovery assessment. The new law deals with each in slightly different ways

Comment

Originally posted by convict View Post
                      There's a big difference between being under enquiry and having an open appeal to a discovery assessment. The new law deals with each in slightly different ways
                      Absolutely !

Either way, can anybody on here see the IoM solutions even existing past 2014 ? Even if they do you'd need to be a clown to use them, but even so I think they will all shut up shop in the coming months, leaving every scheme user of the last few years very much high and dry.

When was the last time anybody had any communication from either CH or CM ?

Comment

Working...
                      X