• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through SANZAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under normal circumstances I think that those that can't pay through negligence of money management would simply be made bankrupt, giving up their assets alongs the way.

I suspect in our cases it won't be quite such an 'easy' get out. Given the amounts owed I doubt Hector will be willing to write it off, particularly if they can make an attachment of earnings for example and take back as much as possible over a period of time. From what I read they limit the time you can pay back within, and of course during this time they will add interest and surcharges - think I saw someone say they can charge 3 x 5%.

I don't think I they'll have a blanket approach. It will depend on assets and earning capacity I would guess. I have no house, no cash, but charge a decent rate in he finance industry in a job I'm doing well in that will go on for at least another year - maybe longer.

I haven't been errant with my money or mismanaged it. I have virtually no credit at all. I don't owe anyone any money. My crime is legal tax planning. So it would harsh to bankrupt me and assign an irreversible stigma that will kill my earnings capacity.

Given the retro nature - part of this bill may be a sweetener that will promise not to bankrupt. I'd imagine it would come with some suffocating pay back earnings attachment.

They would get more back that way. You save your credit status. Your future career is unaffected.

Or they could do both, tie you up in chains for a payback period determined by them to only bankrupt you midway should you fail deliver or even at their whim should they have a policy direction change.

One things is for certain, they want their pound of flesh. They've got the same decision to make as Shylock. And I just can't see them giving people an easy way out.

Comment

Originally posted by retrodeath View Post
      Under normal circumstances I think that those that can't pay through negligence of money management would simply be made bankrupt, giving up their assets alongs the way.

I suspect in our cases it won't be quite such an 'easy' get out. Given the amounts owed I doubt Hector will be willing to write it off, particularly if they can make an attachment of earnings for example and take back as much as possible over a period of time. From what I read they limit the time you can pay back within, and of course during this time they will add interest and surcharges - think I saw someone say they can charge 3 x 5%.

I don't think I they'll have a blanket approach. It will depend on assets and earning capacity I would guess. I have no house, no cash, but charge a decent rate in he finance industry in a job I'm doing well in that will go on for at least another year - maybe longer.

I haven't been errant with my money or mismanaged it. I have virtually no credit at all. I don't owe anyone any money. My crime is legal tax planning. So it would harsh to bankrupt me and assign an irreversible stigma that will kill my earnings capacity.

Given the retro nature - part of this bill may be a sweetener that will promise not to bankrupt. I'd imagine it would come with some suffocating pay back earnings attachment.

They would get more back that way. You save your credit status. Your future career is unaffected.

Or they could do both, tie you up in chains for a payback period determined by them to only bankrupt you midway should you fail deliver or even at their whim should they have a policy direction change.

One things is for certain, they want their pound of flesh. They've got the same decision to make as Shylock. And I just can't see them giving people an easy way out.
      Bankruptcy is a two way thing, the creditors can make you bankrupt or you can apply to the court yourself to make yourself bankrupt so it is not wholly up to the HMRC. I would suggest that for those with large liabilities that they engage in some pre-bankruptcy planning so that you are all aware of the process and how best to protect what you think you need to. If planned properly you can keep your house etc.

At the end of the day if it takes you 10 years to payback your perceived debt to the HMRC (if they ever gave you that long) you should not be able to afford credit anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by retrodeath View Post

In the worst case scenario I will be required to pay HMRC money I do not have; so HMRC has a choice: Bankrupt me and I'll just go and become a gardener or give me a reasonable TTP arrangement that doesn't strangle the life out of me.
        Given their attitude to the responses (which have raised major concerns) I doubt if HMRC will be prepared to flex in any way.
        I'm now moving from an 'oh f***' I need to find money I don't have to I may as well spend what I have on legal council.

Comment

All,

I worked for TRM from 2005 - 2007 for a good 2 years and then i took a PERM role for 1 year where i have been made redundant in 2008. After a brief period in 2008 i took a contract in Brussels( I quit UK) and i was invoicing through Sanzar. Now, i work in Germany. After reading all the threads for EBT it really worries me.

I have not received any letter from HMRC about any pending payments/enquiries...I guess partly because HMRC doesn't know my address.

Iam planning to return to UK...Should i be in touch with HMRC and find out what is happening?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by secontrator View Post
            All,

I worked for TRM from 2005 - 2007 for a good 2 years and then i took a PERM role for 1 year where i have been made redundant in 2008. After a brief period in 2008 i took a contract in Brussels( I quit UK) and i was invoicing through Sanzar. Now, i work in Germany. After reading all the threads for EBT it really worries me.

I have not received any letter from HMRC about any pending payments/enquiries...I guess partly because HMRC doesn't know my address.

Iam planning to return to UK...Should i be in touch with HMRC and find out what is happening?

Thanks
            Oh Dear. HMRC and EBTs may be the least of your worries.

Brussels? Did you work over 183 days?

See Belgium short (!) guide to tax & Social security

Germany? Have you been there more than 183 days?

You're in for a nasty shock if your predilection for these types of tax schemes extend into Germany as well...

See Contracting in Germany
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Oh Dear. HMRC and EBTs may be the least of your worries.

Brussels? Did you work over 183 days?

See Belgium short (!) guide to tax & Social security

Germany? Have you been there more than 183 days?

You're in for a nasty shock if your predilection for these types of tax schemes extend into Germany as well...

See Contracting in Germany
              Yes, more than 183 days in Brussels & Germany.

Is the scheme applicable even if you live abroad?

Comment

I have no idea - I don't know your scheme, but why do you think I flagged this?

See German Tax Raid
                and German Prison!!!

Have a read of this http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxtreaties/in-force/germany.pdf

If you have any more questions about Belgium and German tax - ask in the main Accounting / Legal forum, not here. The contractors working in Germany and Belgium don't bother with this forum.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Nope but once you go over 183 days in Brussels you should be paying tax there and the tax people there are unpleasant.

And once you go over 183 days in Germany you should be paying tax there and the tax people there make the gestapo look friendly...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

What about my time with TRM from 2005 to 2007. I haven't received any letter demanding payment.

Is TRM an EBT Scheme?

Comment

What about my time with TRM from 2005 to 2007. I haven't received any letter demanding payment.

Is TRM an EBT Scheme?
                      You mean you don't know?!?

HMRC enquiries for Talent Resource Management (TRM) / Cherrylon / Trentburg Schemes

Comment

Working...
                      X