• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

German Prison !!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Prison !!

Just got home to find a letter from the German Tax people saying they had "initiated criminal proceedings involving a fiscal offence, summons for being questioned as an accused."

WTF !

They mention the year 2007. I did a short term contract in Munich - just under 5 months. I stayed at hotels during the week and flew home at the weekend. I had a UK Ltd company and paid money into that than therefore paid tax to the UK Government. I was advised at the time - by my agency :-( - that as my stay was less than 6 months, this was all ok.

They want me to go over the Germany - which considering what happened to the anti whaling captain - this is not gonna happen.

Anyone got any advice ?

Originally posted by yakkers View Post
    Just got home to find a letter from the German Tax people saying they had "initiated criminal proceedings involving a fiscal offence, summons for being questioned as an accused."

WTF !

They mention the year 2007. I did a short term contract in Munich - just under 5 months. I stayed at hotels during the week and flew home at the weekend. I had a UK Ltd company and paid money into that than therefore paid tax to the UK Government. I was advised at the time - by my agency :-( - that as my stay was less than 6 months, this was all ok.

They want me to go over the Germany - which considering what happened to the anti whaling captain - this is not gonna happen.

Anyone got any advice ?
    Hide in the Ecuadorian embassy?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by yakkers View Post

WTF !

Anyone got any advice ?
      - update. I panicked when i saw the letter - have never been in trouble - don't even have any penalties on my driving licence !
      Have gone through the forums here and appears a lot of people have been affected.
      Im of the opinion as i paid uk tax and stayed in hotels and flew back at weekends then they don't have a case - but im not a lawyer.

If anyone who's been through this can provide some feedback on what they went through it would be much appreciated.

Comment

My advice would be to get an english speaking german accountant, Thomas Zitleberger of Expat Tax comes highly recommended, and get them to speak to the Steur (tax) and most likely have to prove via flight emails etc. That u were not in the country more than 183 days. If thats true then you are home free minus a small fee from the accountant, if not then be ready to cough up plus interest.
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

If you were less than 183 as Chef says, you should be fine.

However, what I would say is, why on earth would you listen to an agent for tax advice?

Comment

I presume you've found the likes of this thread then; might be something useful in there, hopefully:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-confused.html

Worth a general search to see what else comes up too:

https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&scli...w=1360&bih=589

Comment

Ve haf ways of taxing ze parts zat other Biers don't.

Oops, wrong country.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Just return the letter with "Not known at this address" written on the envelope.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Just return the letter with "Not known at this address" written on the envelope.
                  Coz it's not like HMRC wouldn't wade in to help.

Google MARD (Mutual Assistance in Recovery of Debt).

They're happy to help.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                    Coz it's not like HMRC wouldn't wade in to help.

Google MARD (Mutual Assistance in Recovery of Debt).

They're happy to help.
                    Didn't realise about MARD but i also saw this:
                    Member states can also opt not to recover debts, provide information or serve legal documents that are more than five years old. The UK has taken this approach unless there are exceptional circumstances (e.g. fraud).

Its been over 5 years for me. Im still hoping to hear what other people have done who have had similar letters.

Comment

Working...
                    X