• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened in the end?

Originally posted by Penguin View Post
    I too received the same letter as Bluerover on Thursday last week. I was working through Sanzar Partnership for 6 months in 2008/9 (and then for a couple of months through Sanzar Solutions in 2009/10). Through reading these threads I found out that Sanzar is now Garraway Consultants, so I contacted them and they referred me to Contractor Helpdesk who then said that Cobham Murphy could help me lodge an appeal if I sign to let them act as my temporary adviser. They said this wouldn't cost me. Has anyone heard of Contractor Helpdesk and/or Cobham Murphy?

I have also spoken to my accountant who said he would look at all the paperwork for free and advise me what he thinks I should do, but his initial reaction was "I'll work out what you should have paid..." Er..no I don't think so.

Reading the HMRC website I can't see how the Discovery Assessment they have sent me is legal. I sent them all the details of the loans in my 2008/9 tax return and was fully expecting them to query it, so I kept some money back for it for a year afterwards and they never did. To raise a Discovery Assessment they have to have "discovered" some new information don't they? Or have I misunderstood that?

I used these schemes for 8 months and started to feel uncomfortable about it so stopped.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this issue so far, which has calmed me down a bit over the past few days

Comment

What happened in the end?

Originally posted by Breeze91 View Post
      I've also received the same letter for 08/09. I was with Norla/Edge too but have had no luck contacting them. Would be interested to hear of any contact made and will be following this thread with great interest.

Comment

Hello, what was the outcome of this please?

Originally posted by bluerover View Post
        The chap I spoke to said appealing is just a matter of writing a letter stating the reasons for the appeal and ensuring you state how much of the additional amount you are appealing against. For me (as I imagine most people) is that it was a loan not a taxable income so I am appealing against the full amount. I have documentation regarding loan agreement and paying it off. I guess it doesn't have to be a long letter.

The more I think about this and re read the letter the more I agree with DonkeyRhubarbs opinion they are just trying it on.

Comment

It's 6.20am in there in the UK. Asking every 10 minutes isn't going to get your question answered more quickly.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Posted in error....
            Last edited by Defjam; 5 April 2016, 17:23.

Comment

EBT confusion

Hi Guys, new poster.
              I was involved as an employee in a Premier EBT scheme back in 2004. The scheme involved 4 directors, 2 that lived in Spain and 2 in the UK (I am one of those). The other UK director has now been contacted by HMRC and they are looking into the EBT with a view of recovering tax and NI. I have not yet been contacted.
              Myself and the other UK director still work together at another company now as the employer company went bump. The 2 directors that resided in Spain had the full cash benefit of their trust
              If we engage with HMRC what is the likely outcome?

any help or advice would be really appreciated.
              Last edited by bosleyrog; 1 June 2016, 12:32.

Comment

Originally posted by bosleyrog View Post
                Premier EBT scheme
                HMRC will only go after 100%. They will probably look at the larger number - they will try on anything they can.

Remember as well that HMRC do read these boards. And your post makes it possible for them to identify you.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Remember as well that HMRC do read these boards. And your post makes it possible for them to identify you.....
                  This.
                  You might want to edit your post.
                  And going forward, you might want to join a private community such as Big Group, where you can discuss with others caught in similar circumstances away from the prying eyes of our friends.
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Recommendations for advice

Total newbie here. Apols if this has already been covered. With scheme for only 7mths before realising my error and getting out as fast as I can. Looking for expert advice to help me understand options, best strategy and guide me through practicalities. No demands or any unpleasantness yet.

Aware of WTT Consulting. Any opinions? Any others?

Comment

Originally posted by bradfordboy View Post
                      Total newbie here. Apols if this has already been covered. With scheme for only 7mths before realising my error and getting out as fast as I can. Looking for expert advice to help me understand options, best strategy and guide me through practicalities. No demands or any unpleasantness yet.

Aware of WTT Consulting. Any opinions? Any others?
                      WTT excellent, they have a strategy and a large number of members. Small joining and monthly fee.
                      Best option is one massive group able to negotiate with HMRC to mutual benefit.

Comment

Working...
                      X