• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cascade are Helping

Originally posted by smgrant78 View Post
    I've also received the 2008/2009 letter and the 2011 enquiry letter and am wondering what to do. Everything that I have read around EBT's suggests that HMRC are attempting to cajole members in EBT's into paying up as opposed to having won test cases to prove that the schemes are unlawful.

The recent Rangers case (although north of the border and subject to Scottish Law) suggests that interpretations can differ; there was a 2-1 majority rule against HMRC which they are appealing.

I'm trying to figure in which direction to go. I'm not for paying up (I still believe that the scheme was lawful at the time and do not like what I see as the retrospective change of tax treatment) until forced with one arm behind my back to do so. I've got two questions I am hoping someone can help me with;

1. I see on earlier posts that Michael J Perry is referred to with regards to pooling funds to appeal. Can Michael J Perry please stand up or can someone tell me how I get in contact (I'd be in favour of this approach)
    2. Was anyone out there with Penfolds Limited? or with Tenon (IOM) Limited? If someone is, have you had any success with either the trustee or the company issuing the EBT

Cheers
    Steve
    I was and still with Cascade. They are helping through a proper accountancy firm Kingston Smith LLP. Looking at KS website seems like they are very good - Top 20 UK accountancy.

Comment

Account Upgrade

Originally posted by administrator View Post
      Hi smgrant78, have upgraded your account so you can now send Private Messages - so you can contact Michael J Perry via PM if you need to.
      Hi Can you please upgrade my account as well as I would like to get in touch with Michael

Comment

white collar / ASMG

Could someone please let me know the current contact details for ASMG/White-Collar Financials?

I was with them during 08/09. I just received the dreaded letter from hmrc.

Many thanks.

Comment

Read through this thread from the 1st page down. Both templates and how to Google Mr Perry have been posted before.

More than once.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Will HMRC request the same for 09/10 & 10/11

What are peoples view on whether HMRC will issue soon or this time next year the same reassessment letter for 09/10 and then again for 10/11?

Comment

Originally posted by jjj View Post
              What are peoples view on whether HMRC will issue soon or this time next year the same reassessment letter for 09/10 and then again for 10/11?
              Oh yes, they'll get to you, they're just dishing out the the letters for 08/09 because the deadline closes for this period in a few weeks.

Look for 09/10 letters after April.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Earlier and later years

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Oh yes, they'll get to you, they're just dishing out the the letters for 08/09 because the deadline closes for this period in a few weeks.

Look for 09/10 letters after April.
                I agree that HMRC will look at all tax years covered by each offshore employment for the INDIVIDUAL contractor.

On Edge Consulting, I have cases starting from 2004/05.

Comment

Folks using Cascade effected by HMRC

Hi folks,

I got the 08/09 letter yesterday demanding way much more money that I could possibly repay (and these days no longer contract nor earn anything like as much as I did in those glory days). I'm also father of 2 young kids so have a bit more to lose these days than I did then..I guess there are others in a similar circumstance.

I have yet to contact Cascade as it is the weekend - however a quote from "Michael J Perry" does make sense.

HMRC tend to investigate the promoter (who subsequently goes into liquidation) leaving the employees high and dry and fending for themselves. It is a pattern we have seen many times over the years. Where do you think HMRC got your details?
                  If the admin's have no issue - would it be possible to update my account so I can get PM's, what I suggest is all people who are effected specifically by Cascade form a group (we can start a private google + hangout), so whilst it would be ideal if Cascade do the right thing if that fails then we can try and work together and get representation (as surely our situation must be very similar). I don't know about others but I also think it would be a good thing so we can chat about it with people who are in the same situation, I know for me its quite a heavy burden and I don't really want to talk to anyone who is going to give me the "I told you so" talk... so having some "friends" would help. Obviously don't want to do this too publicly on this forum as we know HMRC are surely going to be reading...

Big thanks to Michael J Perry and DonkeyRhubarb for being so active and helpful.

Cascade effected people - if you reply to the comment on this thread to say you want to join at least we can have a show of hands...

Good luck to all...

Comment

I'll ask Admin for PM rights for you costo.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      I'll ask Admin for PM rights for you costo.
                      Account updated, costo - you can now use the PM system. Thanks cojak

Comment

Working...
                      X