• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's no way I can pay this!!

Originally posted by kaseyjones View Post
    I have had a very similar letter for the same tax year - I was with Garraway - non-dotas self employed scheme. I've joined Big Group and I'm waiting for a response from them. Funnily enough, the financials are the same .
    I was with Garraway too - have you managed to extract any help from them?

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
      Please note, you can't appeal an APN. You can only make a representation based on why you feel the APN doesn't meet any of the conditions set.

You can appeal a DA and that will be postponed until they make their next move !!!!
      What's the best guess on when the next move would be, an apn in q3?

Comment

I just received a letter from HMRC (30 days to pay and appeal)

Hi all,

Im fairly new to this and am a bit scared of the letter the HMRC sent me. Let me start from the top. Between 2011 - 2012 tax year for about 6 months I used the AML PBT scheme to process my payments. I was fairly young so didn't really know what I was doing (Yes I know... stupid). Anywho, I only earned apprx £6000 through this scheme. When I completed my contract I went another Umbrella company using normal PAYE. So as you can imagine, I was pretty shocked when I received a letter from the HMRC saying I earn £77,000 through partnership in the tax year of 2011 - 2012... They are now asking me to pay *£25,000* by March 10.

Now, obviously I didn not earn this money at all. I have all paper worked and correspondence with AML and all bank statements of that year with EVERY payment I received. I also have the tax return AML did on my behalf.

My concern is why do they think I've earned this? I can prove I didn't earn this and never even saw that money. £25000 is the highest amount of money I've seen next to my name. Since 2012 I have been in perm work so I can prove that...

Im just a bit lost... they have given me until March 10 to pay the full amount of 30 days to respond to the letter with an appeal. As you can imagine the anxiety I am suffering with right now is overwhelming... I can admit that I used PBT and am willing to straight out the tax of the £6000 I earned, but the fact they think I earned £77,000 is scary.

My questions to you lovely people is this:

1. Should I consult an accountant / forensic accountant
        2. How would I go about appeal (as they have made a huge mistake)
        3. What steps should I take to straighten this out (should I speak to HMRC myself or through a 3rd party expert)
        4. How much do you think it is going to cost me to fix this ?

Thanks a lot guys, and sorry if I've broken any rules admin... im just very scared about this letter.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cimmmusic View Post
          Hi all,

Im fairly new to this and am a bit scared of the letter the HMRC sent me. Let me start from the top. Between 2011 - 2012 tax year for about 6 months I used the AML PBT scheme to process my payments. I was fairly young so didn't really know what I was doing (Yes I know... stupid). Anywho, I only earned apprx £6000 through this scheme. When I completed my contract I went another Umbrella company using normal PAYE. So as you can imagine, I was pretty shocked when I received a letter from the HMRC saying I earn £77,000 through partnership in the tax year of 2011 - 2012... They are now asking me to pay *£25,000* by March 10.

Now, obviously I didn not earn this money at all. I have all paper worked and correspondence with AML and all bank statements of that year with EVERY payment I received. I also have the tax return AML did on my behalf.

My concern is why do they think I've earned this? I can prove I didn't earn this and never even saw that money. £25000 is the highest amount of money I've seen next to my name. Since 2012 I have been in perm work so I can prove that...

Im just a bit lost... they have given me until March 10 to pay the full amount of 30 days to respond to the letter with an appeal. As you can imagine the anxiety I am suffering with right now is overwhelming... I can admit that I used PBT and am willing to straight out the tax of the £6000 I earned, but the fact they think I earned £77,000 is scary.

My questions to you lovely people is this:

1. Should I consult an accountant / forensic accountant
          2. How would I go about appeal (as they have made a huge mistake)
          3. What steps should I take to straighten this out (should I speak to HMRC myself or through a 3rd party expert)
          4. How much do you think it is going to cost me to fix this ?

Thanks a lot guys, and sorry if I've broken any rules admin... im just very scared about this letter.

Thanks
          PM me
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

How to PM

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            PM me
            Sorry I am new in this forum. How do I PM you? I have also a similar issue. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rajib View Post
              Sorry I am new in this forum. How do I PM you? I have also a similar issue. Thanks
              Join Big Group, plenty of ex-AML people there. Simply click on my link below this post.
              http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
                Join Big Group, plenty of ex-AML people there. Simply click on my link below this post.
                I thought AML were one of the few outfits still around. Aren't they helping?

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  Sort of...
                  You probably don't want to have all your eggs in that basket, though.
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    Helping in telling you to appeal. Actually moving forward to FTT? Well they aren't exactly rushing to defend themselves and ex-users. AML are reacting and not exactly being proactive.
                    http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Discovery letter 2011/12

I have received a discovery letter for 2011/12 for a fairly large amount - I have read that there was HMRC cutoff for 2011/12 as at April-16 hence the rush for them to send out.

I was with the scheme that is now under an assessment penalty from 2010 to 2012 for tax years, 09/10 - 10/11 - 11/12 and I wonder now if the HMRC would also be sending me letters soon for the prior 09/10 & 10/11 years or these are now past the HMRC cutoff.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X