• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by convict View Post
    Yep. Got mine this morning.

As this is a professional forum I'll keep my opinion of HMRC to myself.
    Yep, as a BN66er, I've been the recipient of many of these holiday letters. It's undoubtably a tactic to make you sweat. The worst one was a letter over a Christmas period notifying me that I was at threat of getting my assets seized. In effect I had only a few days to get in touch with MP and get it sorted. HMRC are bullies. They will try to make life as unpleasant for you as they can, they are, to 'coin' a phrase, morally repugnant, willing to twist the law and use underhand and devious tactics against people against whom they have no proof of any illegality. You are down the right thing, get organised and get your defence in place. Before DR turned up, we were all looking down the barrel of a gun. Now we are at least putting up a fight, and making a few if them sweat too. If you have worked within the law, then you have a right to have your voices heard and to fight your case. I feel an empathy for you, because reading some of the posts reminded me just how terrible the HMRC jackboot can seem. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay242 View Post
      Hi Michael
      I received the re-assessment for 08/09, are you acting for anyone from AM Limited?
      Thanks
      Hi Jay242. I was also with AM Limited. I have contacted them and they are dealing with my queries. They have responded to HMRC on my behalf. I suggest you get in contact with them if you haven't already done so. I think its pointless looking for someone else to represent us when AM Limited are taking care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by bstar1 View Post
        I got a SA statement claiming I owe XXXXX with interest for 2008/09 , there was no discovery form attached.

I rang HMRC and asked what this is as there was no details attached, the agent confirmed because the EBT Scheme Blah Blah Blah, they said they would send another letter explaining what the amount outstanding was for as it must of got lost in post.

Few days later I looked on the portal and the outstanding amount has dropped by 33% and 50% less interest ....no explanation?? They seem to be able to add and
        take figures as they please on the fly???

This is really worrying? Are they in a mess or what? Or do they seem they can do whatever they like and when they like.

Any advice welcome, as I still await a formal letter/explanation as to why 2008/08 has an outstanding amount put on to my SA statement. And why the figure has changed? Further more if it can go down it can also go up??

HMRC are in a complete mess as usual. They don't have a clue. I received a demand letter (which arrived in the post a lot quicker than the original query did). When I phoned HMRC collections they could see on their system that my appeal has been lodged and the amount suspended but they had no idea why I hadn't received a letter informing me of this. Utter disgrace as usual. And I don't like having to pay to phone them from my mobile either.....

Comment

Originally posted by Michael J Perry FCA View Post
          Sorry about the full inbox and has been sorted now.

Yes, we have a number of clients that were with AM Limited.

As Cojak points out, ASMG and White Collar (now in liquidation) claimed no link between them.
          Hi Michael. I am just wondering why you have a lot of clients that were with AM Limited? They are still operating and were more than happy to send appeals to HMRC on my behalf. They know their own scheme inside out so I don't know why people would be looking for help from elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by ads1980 View Post
            HMRC are in a complete mess as usual. They don't have a clue. I received a demand letter (which arrived in the post a lot quicker than the original query did). When I phoned HMRC collections they could see on their system that my appeal has been lodged and the amount suspended but they had no idea why I hadn't received a letter informing me of this. Utter disgrace as usual. And I don't like having to pay to phone them from my mobile either.....
            Not that I'm involved in this but you seem to be forgetting one thing.

Regardless of your appeal and everything else HMRC think that you owe them money. They will use any trick they can think of to discourage you and get you to pay.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

ASMG & White Collar

Originally posted by Michael J Perry FCA View Post
              Sorry about the full inbox and has been sorted now.

Yes, we have a number of clients that were with AM Limited.

As Cojak points out, ASMG and White Collar (now in liquidation) claimed no link between them.
              I found a second person that was at ASMG and then White Collar, at least according to their Linkedin profiles!

Comment

Originally posted by ads1980 View Post
                If our (bn66) experience is anything to go by, some people can expect debt collectors to appear on their doorstep even though they've appealed.

HMRC are not joined up. The enforcement mob often steam ahead regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Not that I'm involved in this but you seem to be forgetting one thing.

Regardless of your appeal and everything else HMRC think that you owe them money. They will use any trick they can think of to discourage you and get you to pay.
                  WHS

It's a lot easier for HMRC to bully/intimidate people into paying up than taking cases to tribunal.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    If our (bn66) experience is anything to go by, some people can expect debt collectors to appear on their doorstep even though they've appealed.

HMRC are not joined up. The enforcement mob often steam ahead regardless.

That statement has really worried me!! If that happens do you just have to show them the postponement of tax letter?

Comment

Originally posted by Shrek77 View Post
                      That statement has really worried me!! If that happens do you just have to show them the postponement of tax letter?

HM Revenue & Customs: What could happen if you don't pay HMRC

Lots of information freely available from their own website. Of course that doesn't mean they have to abide by the rules - as we know!

That's why it's important to not become too passive IMHO. It's one thing to send an appeal and take the view it's now in their court to make the next move. But don't always assume that response will follow some linear route of corrspondence. That's why it's crucial to understand the different game plays and be prepared for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X