• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sunday Solutions Anyone Else Having A Problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Shabba feels that (s)he has been defrauded. If (s)he has been defrauded, then that must mean that the scheme provider stole their money, ie. they said that they would pay funds to HMRC and didn't. If that's the case, then there has been a fraud committed so the police should investigate and the CPS should prosecute. If that happens, then you would hope that HMRC would give the debtor some grace to pay.

The alternative is that the scheme provider operated exactly as they said they would, and Shabba feels aggrieved because they didn't understand what they were getting into. If that is what has happened, then there has been no crime so the police aren't interested. If that is true, then I wouldn't expect HMRC to be offering much support or sympathy for trying to avoid tax and getting caught.

I don't know anything about the scheme, but I suspect that the situation is the latter rather than the former.
    If you look into the thread, many users believe that it's the former.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Microtots'r'us View Post
      Fraud is taking by deception illegally. I would need proof of this as will anyone else
      You lose money but you may not be able to recover it because the person committing the fraud has hidden it or something else.
      You have a loss but you originally got paid in the case of these partnerships . However you put the money or the the money was put in the care of others. So either you or the person who put it there bears responsibility for puttting it there.
      But their defence is they did not know someone would take it and not repay it.

That might not on one occasion rise to be fraud. It could be embezzellement but if they are encouraging lots of people to do this and no one gets paid their money back you may have to prove what happened first.
      Nothig is easy
      This post is dated 2010, and there was confusion even then...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Shabba feels that (s)he has been defrauded. If (s)he has been defrauded, then that must mean that the scheme provider stole their money, ie. they said that they would pay funds to HMRC and didn't. If that's the case, then there has been a fraud committed so the police should investigate and the CPS should prosecute. If that happens, then you would hope that HMRC would give the debtor some grace to pay.

The alternative is that the scheme provider operated exactly as they said they would, and Shabba feels aggrieved because they didn't understand what they were getting into. If that is what has happened, then there has been no crime so the police aren't interested. If that is true, then I wouldn't expect HMRC to be offering much support or sympathy for trying to avoid tax and getting caught.

I don't know anything about the scheme, but I suspect that the situation is the latter rather than the former.
        I think with the Sunday Solutions schemes the provider held on to the tax that was payable to HMRC so there could well be a case Insolvency Service - Press Releases - Court winds up another Sunday Solutions tax umbrella company
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          I think with the Sunday Solutions schemes the provider held on to the tax that was payable to HMRC so there could well be a case Insolvency Service - Press Releases - Court winds up another Sunday Solutions tax umbrella company
          and another article on the same subject (posted because I do like the tag).

fraud | Lease a Finance Director | Page 3

Comment

However, I guess whether there has been fraud or not, you can still be sure that the amount of tax which was initially withheld (and potentially not handed to HMRC like it should have been), will still not be anywhere near what HMRC will be seeking from the scheme users.

So fraud or not, even in the very best scenario I would imagine the scheme users will still owe HMRC a bundle.

Also, i would assume that whether the scheme promoter stole the the money or not, HMRC won't care, as far as they're concerned, you as an individual are liable for your tax.

No different I guess to a financial adviser doing a runner with your tax money. Yes there may well be a criminal case, but HMRC still expect you to settle the debt.

That's what I'd assume anyway.

Comment

I tend to hold back from posting here, but some of the recent statements are completely wrong. Certain people seem to be making assumptions without knowing the facts. My grandmother used to say "Oh Lord, please help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I'm talking about".
              It's fraud. No assumptions on my part. The facts were disclosed via High Court disclosure. The facts are in the public domain about how the authorities stepped in to close down various companies in the scam in the public interest.
              The money that was supposed to be retained in clients' bank accounts to pay personal tax was diverted off to bank accounts in Luxembourg, Switzerland, ....
              This was not a scheme that promised to pay 90%+ of daily rates. In fact, it was far less tax efficient than running a Ltd company. In essence, all that could be offset was a a small amount for legitimate expenses, the effective tax rate was on a par with PAYE. The main selling point was reduced time and costs spent setting up and running a VAT registered Ltd company, especially if you were only likely to be contracting in the UK for a short period and/or were on a low daily rate.
              That aside, the individual is ultimately responsible for paying their own tax bill, regardless of the money being stolen. The taxman doesn't want to know. Any scumbag can call themselves an accountant. Contracts with organisations controlled by individuals with no moral compass are not worth the paper they are written on, no matter how clearly you understand what you are signing up for. White collar crime definitely pays, even if some of the smaller players ultimately get made bankrupt and top themselves. Most people are decent, but it only takes a couple of truly evil people to cause complete havoc with the lives of hundreds of others. Stick with Ltd companies as you have full control over your own money. All valuable lessons learnt.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabba
                One last time people! I'm not unhappy because i got caught paying less.. im unhappy because nothing was paid and im paying TWICE! and my first post wasn't to vent anger, it was to get advice from experienced people of how i can escalate this.. Sadly you have just proceeded to bash me for 4 pages and im still not any clearer.
                I think we have got that bit now Shabba.

Comment

I know we established the fact i was an idiot to go with Sunday, but I just wanted to draw people's attention to something.. So i was a first time 20yr old contractor and i looked to the community of experts i was working with and was recommended Sunday.. i know you professionals on here find this hard to believe and think im some criminal who was trying my luck, but i was just a confused newbie and i trusted others (stupidly)..

So i was trying to evoke the feelings of the day and even did a bit of searching this esteemed website. Check out theses posts from a 'superposter' called rootsnall. He is promoting Sunday as a good solution and even encouraging people to sign the PoA.. I think i probably signed it..

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ountant-2.html

This doesn't excuse my ignorance, but it does go some way to explain why people (especially noobs) got caught with sunday.. at the time it wasn't so obvious they were illegal or bad.. and even some of you supergods on here used and advised using them! And even now whilst i sit her im seeing ads pop up for PCG and get 80% take home 'HMRC approved'... what is to stop PCG being tomorrow's Sunday? And the site (this one) that is advertising them, turn into a scornful pit of trolls laughing at the victims?
                  Haven't learned much yet, have you? I suggest you go look at the PCG website and find out what they are all about. Hint: it's nothing to do with take-home pay...

And nobody's laughing at anyone for joining a scheme. Mostly we're trying to help you understand where you stand, what you are fighting and what your options are. Given the level of ignorance about the real world that some demonstrate, that is sometimes a difficult point to get across.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

So i was trying to evoke the feelings of the day and even did a bit of searching this esteemed website. Check out theses posts from a 'superposter' called rootsnall. He is promoting Sunday as a good solution and even encouraging people to sign the PoA.. I think i probably signed it..

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ountant-2.html
                    Methinks your sarcasm filter is broken

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      Methinks your sarcasm filter is broken
                      probably yeah..

Ok Mod please can you delete all my posts and my account? I'm done!

Comment

Working...
                      X