• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Disguised renumeration - new approach by HMRC ("no requirement to operate PAYE")

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man that's a confusing letter.

One paragraph exonerates you from blame almost (the comma is important). "It is not appropriate for the end users..." Then I realised they were addressing Momentum and not you in the same sentence....

Then the paragraph says we will be asking you for the perceived DR

I had to read that about six times before I got it.

Comment

In more simple terms:
      • Since your employer, Momentum, was offshore they weren't required to operate PAYE.
      • Normally, in this type of case, HMRC would try and collect the PAYE from one of the UK entities in the payment chain (eg. the end-client).
      • However, instead they're using the discretion provided to them in law, to disregard this and come after YOU for the tax.
      Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 9 November 2022, 11:42.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Unless HMRC have erred, I have to say it doesn't look good seeing as how you can't appeal against their decision. All you can do is make "representations" for what that's worth.
        Exactly. OP is going to have pay the tax on the earnings and move on having learned a lesson about things that look too good to be true in life.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Thanks all, apologies - didn't have my notifications settings right. I will go get advice as it sounds like I may be underestimating what my exposure is (OK ~£13k in tax & before loan charge cut off but what about levys, fees, fines, penalties they can throw at me) so the benefit of doing so may be that greater.

Yes, certainly lessons learnt here as I am concerned by the potential risk of loan reclaim in the future too....
          Last edited by VillageIdiotDan; 10 November 2022, 10:32.

Comment

Sorry - a bit confused here…

The letter from HMRC mentions employment income from 2011, but you’ve just mentioned the loan charge?

Are these different schemes? Did you pay the loan charge (if it applies for this scheme/year)?

Comment

Originally posted by Chevalier View Post
              Sorry - a bit confused here…

The letter from HMRC mentions employment income from 2011, but you’ve just mentioned the loan charge?

Are these different schemes? Did you pay the loan charge (if it applies for this scheme/year)?
              Sorry to confuse, it's my limited knowledge on the subject having buried my head deep in sand. I mention the loans in case something has changed but I understand there was a cut off of Nov 2010, all the loans were prior to that so I believe that loan charge does not apply.

Comment

No - it makes sense - and presumably by declaring the years/schemes, they have the info they need for the 10/11 year.

Presumably no assessment yet for this year, but that’s the worry.

I remember the concern being raised by the Lords Committee over whether the offshore legislation eroded taxpayer certainty over investigation time limits and we could have the answer right here.

Comment

To the OP - you have redacted the address info at the top but you left in the QR code and info printed along the left margin - that means people on this forum don’t known who you are but HMRC (who read these forums) almost certainly do. So be careful discussing your strategy here now or saying anything that may self incriminate.

Comment

Originally posted by handyandy View Post
                    To the OP - you have redacted the address info at the top but you left in the QR code and info printed along the left margin - that means people on this forum don’t known who you are but HMRC (who read these forums) almost certainly do. So be careful discussing your strategy here now or saying anything that may self incriminate.
                    Cheers for the heads-up Andy, still haven't got my notifications set-up right lol so the cat is very much out of the bag but have updated hiding this also. Hopefully haven't said anything incriminating but I did rather carelessly omit to say how much I love and respect all taxpersons

Comment

I have now received one of these - well 2 of them in the same envelope. I honestly thought this was all over and done with since I got a letter from HMRC back in 2020 saying that they will not contact about my disguised renumeration scheme. These new letters are refering to tax returns for 2005 and 2006 - I think they may be open years as I kind of remember receiving COP notices years ago but I honestly don't know for sure. It's years and years ago.

Did the OP ever get some professional help? If so are you happy to pass their details over to me, especially if you are / were happy with the advice?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X