• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

APN penalties - APN Penalty Appeal Group

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After many years of silence from HMRC, I have just received a bill for 3 APN penalties. The LC aspects were settled a few years back. Now wondering how many more APN penalties might come through the door and the best way forward.

Comment

Originally posted by peterhock View Post
      After many years of silence from HMRC, I have just received a bill for 3 APN penalties. The LC aspects were settled a few years back. Now wondering how many more APN penalties might come through the door and the best way forward.
      I'm curious as to why you would get an APN penalty if you settled?

I thought APNs were only issued if you had not paid/rejected/not settled/ignored etc.,

Comment

Pretty sure its the fact that the penalties are separate to the actually APN, so while a person settled the loans and therefore the APN ammounts, the penalty itself remains (plus interest, and probably another penalty for not paying the penalty knowing HMRC).

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu2020 View Post
          Pretty sure its the fact that the penalties are separate to the actually APN, so while a person settled the loans and therefore the APN ammounts, the penalty itself remains (plus interest, and probably another penalty for not paying the penalty knowing HMRC).
          Makes sense - thank you.

I however, also wondering how people like myself may be affected by this. I settled my open cases and had no APNs. I know it sounds a bit obvious but you really do never know with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
            I however, also wondering how people like myself may be affected by this. I settled my open cases and had no APNs. I know it sounds a bit obvious but you really do never know with HMRC
            APNs can only be issued against open years ie. prior to any settlement.

Penalties arise if you don't pay APNs on time. The fact that a person subsequently settled doesn't make the penalties go away.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

APNs can only be issued against open years ie. prior to any settlement.

Penalties arise if you don't pay APNs on time. The fact that a person subsequently settled doesn't make the penalties go away.
              Gotcha I thought I had it but as the post went on I wasn't so sure. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X