• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill Knight & Boox clients being investigated as Managed Service Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In case i was leaving money on a company account ie. 50% of yearly profits, is HMRC also going to calculate how much money i can take out of my company accounts for a particular tax year after i pay amount demanded (less CT, DT etc.) if company's entire yearly gross income is now considered PAYE?

Comment

Originally posted by gikap View Post
      In case i was leaving money on a company account ie. 50% of yearly profits, is HMRC also going to calculate how much money i can take out of my company accounts for a particular tax year after i pay amount demanded (less CT, DT etc.) if company's entire yearly gross income is now considered PAYE?
      Well, to begin with, YourCo cannot be an MSC unless you paid out half or more of the invoiced amounts (over an extended period, not necessarily in a given tax year). Second, as discussed earlier in this thread, the amount subject to PAYE and NICs is the amount paid out.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Well, to begin with, YourCo cannot be an MSC unless you paid out half or more of the invoiced amounts (over an extended period, not necessarily in a given tax year). Second, as discussed earlier in this thread, the amount subject to PAYE and NICs is the amount paid out.
        In this post here you said the amount subject to PAYE and NICs is the amount company earned in a tax year, not amount paid out ie. paid to me.

Also, for a year i received determinations i took out (salary + dividends) considerably less than 50%, 42% of gross yearly income to be exact, and i still received brown letter. I don't think HMRC is consistent with their (made up) rules.

Comment

Well Im considerably under 50%, caught up in this and HMRC have declined to dismiss my case with the 50% argument. So I hope your right, but they aren't playing ball right now

Comment

Originally posted by gikap View Post

In this post here you said the amount subject to PAYE and NICs is the amount company earned in a tax year, not amount paid out ie. paid to me.

Also, for a year i received determinations i took out (salary + dividends) considerably less than 50%, 42% of gross yearly income to be exact, and i still received brown letter. I don't think HMRC is consistent with their (made up) rules.
            Apologies, I shouldn't have said "former". Again, this has been discussed to death much earlier in the thread. It's the amount that was paid out.

Comment

Originally posted by antuk View Post

Well Im considerably under 50%, caught up in this and HMRC have declined to dismiss my case with the 50% argument. So I hope your right, but they aren't playing ball right now
              The legislation and HMRC strategy are quite often two different things. Whether they accept your argument now or are forced to accept it later, the legislation is quite clear about the threshold.

Comment

The legislation and HMRC strategy are quite often two different things. Whether they accept your argument now or are forced to accept it later, the legislation is quite clear about the threshold.
                When you say extended period, who gets to determine the period? The covid year messes up the average, but if you exclude that year im golden.

Comment

When you say extended period, who gets to determine the period? The covid year messes up the average, but if you exclude that year im golden.
                  Unclear (to me, at least). The legislation is silent about the calculation, but the ESM talks about a cumulative comparison and provides an example.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...manual/esm3510

Anyway, unless you're clearly and consistently under 50%, it will probably be a fight.

Comment

Unclear (to me, at least). The legislation is silent about the calculation, but the ESM talks about a cumulative comparison and provides an example.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...manual/esm3510

Anyway, unless you're clearly and consistently under 50%, it will probably be a fight.
                    Thanks....

If I go back two years before the 2017 year in question (to when the company started), the average over the 5 years (to the end of the 3 year period in question) is 50%. Just looking at three years in question the average is 46%, it only goes above 50 if you add in the covid years which are currently out of scope of the letters

Comment

Thanks....

If I go back two years before the 2017 year in question (to when the company started), the average over the 5 years (to the end of the 3 year period in question) is 50%. Just looking at three years in question the average is 46%, it only goes above 50 if you add in the covid years which are currently out of scope of the letters
                      The three year period seems like a reasonable basis to me - afterall, it's the period in question and it's a long, cumulative basis. I expect you'll be cleared, but you'll have to live with the uncertainty until then, I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
                      X